You may have noticed that more and more bedding manufacturers are producing organic bedding. And for a good reason: The materials used in conventional bedding — cotton, specifically — are grown, harvested, processed, and manufactured with pesticides and other potentially harmful chemicals.
In fact, it’s estimated that a whopping 25% of the world’s insecticides and 10% of its pesticides are used to grow conventional cotton. Considering most people spend about one-third of their lives in bed, organic, insecticide- and pesticide-free bedding may be a wise investment.
Luckily, you don’t have to spend a fortune to start swapping your regular bedding for eco-friendlier options. With larger retailers like Target and Amazon jumping on the organic bedding bandwagon, you can find comfy, cozy, high-quality organic sheets that will make your snoozing and your wallet happy.
Not sure where to begin? Check out our roundup of the best organic sheets you can buy at a variety of prices, materials, and styles.
Best Overall: Magnolia Organics Dream Collection Sheet Set
- SMOOTH & SILKY sateen construction, made with ring-spun and long-staple organic cotton fiber
- GOTS CERTIFIED ORGANIC COTTON: The highest level organic certification right through to our Connecticut facility. Organic Cotton grown without the use of pesticides & herbicides, Azo-Free dyes with no heavy metals, fair labor spinning, milling, sewing, and packaging
- HIGH DRAPABILITY: Our unique sateen weave matches the contours of your body, giving you a warm and comfy sleep.
- PERFECT FIT - DEEP POCKETS: Our fitted sheets have a 15" drop and 360º of elastic to fit the majority of mattresses available, and ensure a secure fit. Queen Size - 90x102-in flat sheet, 60x80x15-in fitted sheet, and two 20x30-in pillowcases
- 300 Thread Count
Responsibly and ethically manufactured in India with 100% organic cotton (that’s certified by the Global Organic Textile Standard, no less), these sheets from Magnolia can help you reduce your ecological footprint without sacrificing comfort, style, or quality.
Their luxurious, sateen finish and 300-thread count make them feel super soft and silky. Still, their materials and production make them extra durable (and eco-friendly), too.
Available in a range of sizes, from twin to California king, each set contains one fitted sheet, one flat sheet, and two 20″ x 30″ pillowcases. They’re machine washable in warm water, but the manufacturer recommends tumble drying with low heat.
You can choose from six color options, produced with dyes free of heavy metals, AZO dyes, and formaldehyde. The “pure white” sheet set is lightened with Global Organic Textile Standard-approved hydrogen peroxide rather than chlorine bleach. The “natural” option is completely dye- and peroxide-free.
More: Smart Bedroom Gadgets
Best Splurge: Tissaj Organic Cotton Bed Sheets
- CERTIFIED 100% ORGANIC COTTON - These 100% organic cotton bed sheets set are GOTS Certified (Global Organic Textile Standard) and OEKO TEX Standard 100 assures a bedding that's nontoxic & chemical-free for your entire family. Enjoy breathable bed sheets which are naturally grown. These are Authentic and Certified by the highest body for being organic, ensuring your comfort and safety.
- SOFT & SMOOTH – Our Sheets are of Sateen construction with extra-long staple organic cotton fiber. If you love the sheen and finish of a luxury hotel sheets then your search ends here, because life’s 33% of time is spent sleeping and that needs to be completely comfortable. We have made sure that all our sheets are absolutely flawless and smooth with our stringent quality checks. Wash in warm water separately, and tumble dry on low for long life quality.
- PERFECT FIT – 16” DEEP POCKETS: Queen Fitted Sheets have a 16" drop and 360º of high quality 12mm elastic to fit the mattress all around perfectly ensuring a secure snug fit. Queen Sheet Sets include a Flat Sheet - 91”x 103”, a Fitted Sheet - 60” x 80” x 16” and 2 Pillowcases - 21” x 31”. Our fitted sheet comes with a smart bottom tag for a hassle free fitting.
- ECO-FRIENDLY PACKAGING: Arrives skillfully packaged in a Self-Fabric Organic Cotton Bag for Beautiful Gifting and easy storage. We have made our packaging reusable so that it is easy on the environment. We are also worried about the green factor of our surrounding and hence our packaging is recyclable.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – Our first goal is 100% customer satisfaction and because of that we have made our quality checks very stringent so you receive the best sheets every time. We have eliminated all the middle men to provide you best quality sheets with pocket friendly price tags. ORDER NOW!!!
Incredible, isn’t it? You can have a good night’s sleep without being restricted by the size of your mattress.
With these Tissaj 100% organic cotton sheets on your bed, you’ll be able to throw in any old blanket or pillowcase and still feel like royalty! They come in 13 different sizes, so they’re perfect for all mattresses, too- no matter how big or small.
These sheets are perfect for those of you who have a king-sized bed with an overstuffed mattress. They can be tucked into the pockets on both sides without too much effort, and they’re 500 thread count!
The available colors include white, natural ivory, light blue sea foam, green tea leaf, or black – do your research before purchasing so that you know which color is right to match your room’s décor best.
More: The Best Wake Up Lights
Best Budget: Whisper Organics
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC COTTON - Our 100% cotton organic twin sheets have full GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) certification. Premium sheets good for your entire family.
- INCREDIBLY SOFT, SATEEN WEAVE SHEETS - Dream pleasant dreams in these amazingly soft twin XL-sized sheets from Whisper Organics. Its 300 thread count of pure cotton with sateen design gives a silky smooth feel.
- 100% NATURAL SHEET SETS - These bed sheets are made from only natural material. They’re breathable and comfortable, perfect for both kids and adults with sensitive skin.
- DEEP POCKET TWIN XL ORGANIC SHEETS - Includes: flat sheet 66"x101", fitted sheet 39"x80" fits up to 15" mattress, pillowcase 20"x30". Experience your best sleep yet in these luxury hotel quality bedding.
- YOUR SATISFACTION, OUR PRIORITY - We are so confident in the quality of our bed sheet set that we offer a 90-day return policy. If you are unsatisfied, simply contact us to return the product for a full refund.
The Whisper Organics Organic Cotton Sheet Set is the perfect addition to any bedroom.
The sheets are made of organic cotton grown on farmland in India, so you can rest easy knowing that your bedding will not be outfitted with harsh chemicals.
The Whisper Organics Organic Cotton Sheet Set utilizes long-staple yarn to provide lavish comfort and warmth.
Available in a full spectrum of sizes from twin to California king, these sheets come in many splendid colors so you can feel at peace under the comfy cotton weave that won’t irritate your sensitive skin or cause allergies like other materials may do.
More: The Best Bed Pillows
Best Linen: Len Linum European Made Pure Linen Sheets Set
- 100% natural organic linen
- Not chemically treated
- European grown and woven
- Machine washable
The Len Linum European Made Pure Linen Sheets Set is more luxurious than you could have imagined.
These sheets are made from naturally grown flax, processed without the use of dangerous chemicals to create a delicate and breathable fabric that’s perfect for allergy suffers.
A quality night’s sleep is essential for our health and wellbeing, so it makes sense that we should be sleeping on the best sheets possible.
These amazing linen-made bedsheets from Len Linum come in a variety of colors to fit any décor style or preference, but what really sets them apart is their breathability and coolness – no matter how hot or humid your room feels at night; you’ll always feel dry thanks to this fabric.
More: The Best Silk Sheets
BIOWEAVES 100% Organic Cotton Sheets
- 100% ORGANIC COTTON - Certified with GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard), fine yarn (made with long staple cotton fibers) in a single ply is used to make this amazingly soft 300 thread count fabric. Switch to non-toxic & chemical free bedding that is luxurious & durable.
- ORGANIC KING SHEETS - Includes 1 flat sheet 112” x 108”, 1 fully elasticized fitted bed sheet 76” x 80” + 17” (pocket) perfectly fitting king size mattresses from 9” to 17” deep & 2 king pillow cases 20” x 40”. These Natural (undyed) king sheets feature a beautiful sateen weave with extravagant softness. Foot indicator label is stitched on the shorter side of the fitted sheet for ease of use.
- RIGHT CHOICE - Shield your body from allergies & sensitivities caused by non-organic chemical dyes & pesticides by choosing organic. Feel proud about the positive environmental impact caused by choosing organic. All our sheets are made at Fair Trade Certified facilities, using sustainable processes & recyclable packaging materials. Easy home laundry & durability of the fabric are added advantages.
- MATCHING BEDDING - Buy matching pillow cases, duvet cover sets, top sheets & fitted sheets along with this sheet set by clicking on the “BIOWEAVES” link given above.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - We rigorously test for pilling, shrinkage & durability before using any fabric. Each piece goes through 3 rigorous quality checks before being shipped so that you have a great experience. All this is also backed up with an incredible customer service making this a completely risk free & satisfactory purchase for you.
If you’re looking for a good night’s sleep, the BIOWEAVES organic cotton sheets are an excellent choice. With their fitted sheet that has 17 inch deep pockets and 300 thread count fabric with a sateen weave, these high-quality products will keep your mattress covered all night long!
If you have basic needs and don’t want to skimp on quality, this is the perfect choice for any bedroom. You’ll find that these sheets come in 5 colors with seven sizes available, so all of your bedding sets will fit like a glove!
- Hotel Luxury 600 Thread Count 100% Organic Cotton 4-Piece Bed Sheet Set Fits Mattress Upto 16'' Deep Pocket Sateen Weave, Breathable Soft Cotton (King 76x80, White Solid)
- 4-Pieces Sheet Set include 1 Fitted sheet,1 Flat sheet and 2 Pillowcases only.
- BED SHEETS SET FEATURES: The Fitted Sheet is Fully Elasticized All around to Stay Tucked in with Deep Pockets that Will Fit Up to 16 Inch Deep Mattress. While the Flat Sheet & Pillowcases are Made with 4 Inches Hemming. Our Soft Percale Sheets are Breathable, Crispy and Durable.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Our products are backed by incredible customer service; we are dedicated to making sure you have an excellent experience, from the moment you place your order until after you begin using your new bedding. ORDER NOW, there’s no risk. Our high-quality designs match any decor and make the ultimate gift idea for men and women, Moms and Dads, Valentine's - Mother's - Father's Day and Christmas.
The last thing you want to do is have a thin sheet that slides off the bed when your partner tries to make it. These sheets are made with strong material and can hold onto any mattress type, no matter how thick or overstuffed they may be!
They have a thread count of 600, 11 sizes to choose from, and 13 color choices! The fitted sheet has pockets 16 inches in depth, so they’re able to accommodate thicker or overstuffed mattresses with ease.
More: How to buy a mattress
Fabdreams 100% Organic Cotton Sheets
- THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS INDULGENCE: Stepping into YOUR bedroom will turn into an indulgence with Fabdreams 100% Organic Bedding Set. This sheet set is carefully crafted from 100% pure GOTS certified Organic Cotton and is loomed with utmost care in our fair-trade mills to preserve the organic nature of the product. Luxurious Percale Weave gives the sheets a cool, crisp & moisture wicking texture from day 1. A boon indeed for Silky Sheet Afficionado!
- UNBOXING THE BOX: Can’t wait, let’s start! 100% recyclable packaging with ZERO plastic used. King Size Set includes 4 Pieces: 1 Flat Sheet (110" x 102”), 1 Fitted Sheet (78" x 80" x 17") with deep pocket to fit mattresses upto 17" & 2 Pillowcase (20" x 40”). These are all packed in a decadent reusable Tote Bag complimentary for you from FABDREAMS.
- COOL CRISP PERCALE WEAVE: 100% Organic Cotton procured directly from farmers to make this beautiful sheet set in-house. This sheet set is made using PERCALE WEAVE, which gives the sheet crisp and cool attributes. Rest assured, a boon for folks who hate hot sleep!
- CLIMATE CHANGE NEEDS ORGANIC: Organic cotton is produced using 100% natural seeds so there is no use of harmful chemicals. Traditional cotton is grown on the same soil repeatedly which deteriorates the soil quality, removes all-natural nutrients and leads to an unhealthy crop harvest. Organic cotton is rotated from one soil to another, so the natural nutrients retain water for long which means that the land requires less irrigation & produces sustaniable sheets sets.
- STILL WAITING TO BUY IT: This Sheet set is an ethical and environmentally friendly gifting choice for all your special occasions – Thanksgiving, Christmas, Birthdays, Weddings, and Anniversaries. More than any occasions, it is the best gift you can give to yourself, your family and to trying to go organic and save the planet!
You want the best for your baby, so why not ensure that their slumber is on organic sheets that aren’t treated with anything harmful.
It’s always a good idea to be environmentally friendly, and Fabdreams sheets are a perfect way! Made with organic cotton, this fitted percale weaved sheets will ensure your sleep is comfortable.
Available in 6 colors and sizes, you’ll find just what you need. These 16-inch pockets on their fitted sheet mean that they may fit snugly around any mattress height without slipping off of the bottom or coming undone at night when relaxed muscles shift during restful slumber.
Buying Guide – Organic Bed Sheets
Organic bedding is an effective way to reduce the use of chemical pesticides and fertilizers in cotton crops. Organic sheets are made free of chemicals that harm the environment, humans, and animals. Using less harmful chemical methods for soil preparation and pest management also produces healthier plants for consumers after harvesting.
Organic Bedding – What’s Inside?
Independent agencies inspect all organic bedding products before officially displaying their USDA seal certifying them as organic. There are three different types of certification available: 100% Organic Cotton Sheets, Certified Organic in two countries or Made with at least 70% certified organic ingredients in one country.
Features to Consider
Organic cotton bedding is best for those who want to feel the softest sheets. Not all kinds of cotton have an equal feel, strength, or durability, so it’s important that you know which ones are out there before buying!
Some of our favorite types include long staple (ELS) fibers for added comfort and extra-long staples in order to make them more durable while still being gentle against the skin – perfect if you’re sensitive about things hurting when sleeping on your back or side because they won’t stand up straight like harder fabrics can do without application from weight across their surface area equally distributed front loading washing machine (FLW) or machines that use less water.
Organic Bamboo Sheets
Bamboo is another renewable resource with properties similar to cotton. It makes it feel soft and smooth against your skin, including anti-wrinkle and anti-static properties. It’s similar to organic cotton in terms of breathability. Still, bamboo lasts longer than cotton sheets (5 times more durable!), so you don’t have to worry about pilling as much after washing compared with cotton!
Considering the life expectancy of both types is pretty close, this might be your best bet if you’re looking for an alternative since, like organic cotton sheets, the chemical processing method isn’t as harsh. Bamboo doesn’t absorb sweat causing higher incidents of rashes compared to other natural fibers.
Bamboo sheets are also more difficult to find at a price that matches cotton or organic cotton bedding sheets. If you’re looking for quality and an affordable price with the added benefit of natural properties, then bamboo sheets might be the choice for you!
Other types of sustainable fibers like organic bamboo can do as well as organic cotton but usually at a higher price point. It’s important to wash your sheets before using them to remove any treatments put upon them during manufacturing and shipping. Treating the materials is necessary since they aren’t subject to harsh chemical processes (i.e., pesticides and fertilizers) like conventional cotton is in order to make it more resistant to pests and longer-lasting its process compared with regular chemical processing.
Fabric Weave and Thread Coun
Thread count is the number of threads in a square inch, while weaves refer to the type of thread itself. Combed cotton has longer fibers which are stronger and softer compared to regular combed cotton since it uses less heat during manufacturing, according to Better Sleep Council, which means that you have more comfort for your money.
Non-organic cotton may seem fine when you first buy them. Still, quality can decrease after a few washes if they’re not durable enough for everyday use over a long period. Whether organic or non-organic, cotton will become thinner and weaker with every wash unless it’s treated again with chemicals throughout its life cycle!
Organic cotton sheets tend to be slightly more expensive than their non-organic counterparts since the quality of the materials is better, and there’s more work involved in sourcing organic cotton from raw material to store shelves. This means that it’s definitely worth investing a few extra bucks if you want to get a high-quality set of bedding that will last a long time without falling apart.
Thread counts for both types vary with thread count averages ranging from 200-500 threads per inch which are lower than traditional cotton but offer the benefits of being stronger, smoother against the skin, wavy, and durable due to its thickness compared with regular cotton fabrics. Of course, higher thread counts usually contain higher quality fibers like combed cotton or Egyptian cotton.
Organic cotton sheets are most likely to be found in thread counts over 200 due to their natural properties and longevity compared with conventional kinds of cotton. If you’re looking for high-quality bedding that is soft, smooth, wavy, and durable, then organic cotton sets are a perfect choice!
On the other hand, bamboo sheets usually rely more heavily on weave (pattern) than thread count since bamboo doesn’t come from traditional cotton plants as regular cotton does. Sateen weave contains fewer threads per inch, whereas brushed or twill weaves contain heavy threads, making sheets more durable against rips and tears, deeper pockets in terms of depth (usually below 300 thread count), and overall softer feel due to its thickness.
Organic bamboo sheets are slightly more expensive than other types of sustainable fibers like organic cotton because the process to make them is longer due to sustainable sourcing bamboo; weaving techniques require more work compared with regular cotton. There are fewer working hands in the production process during manufacturing which also means that if any mistakes occur that will decrease their quality, then they have to destroy the whole batch.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the closest thing to cotton?
Bamboo and modal contain the closest qualities to regular cotton fibers but don’t come from traditional cotton plants like conventional cotton do, which means they lack durability compared with high-quality, high-thread-count organic cotton sets.
What’s best for your wallet?
Organic cotton is a great option if you want fewer chemicals coming in contact with your skin and prefer a soft sheet set without worrying about them falling apart after multiple washes when it comes time to replace your bedding.
What’s best for your skin?
Organic cotton sheets are the best option if you want to avoid chemicals that may irritate your skin without spending too much money on luxury, high-quality organic bamboo sets since they’re usually more expensive due to their long processing time during manufacturing.
Are organic bed sheets better than non-organic varieties?
Yes, organic cotton sets are better than non-organic cotton sets since they’re made without chemicals which means you won’t irritate your skin from the plant itself. They’re durable enough to last a long time in comparison with regular cotton.
Does thread count matter in bedsheets?
Yes, higher thread counts usually contain more high-quality fibers like combed cotton or Egyptian cotton, so they tend to be softer and smoother against skin compared with lower or medium quality products with less than 300 thread count.
Are bamboo sheets eco-friendly?
Bamboo is an extremely sustainable resource since it grows incredibly fast. There’s little chemical treatment involved when processing it into materials used for textiles. It’s usually blended with other fibers to retain some durability but without the added chemicals that come from regular cotton.
What’s the best way to wash my new bedsheets?
Organic cotton sets are often less durable than bamboo, so it is vital to follow care instructions given by most bedding manufacturers for your set, which most likely includes cold water instead of hot, gentle cycle with a mild detergent, and low or no heat when drying them in order to avoid damage from fabric shrinking or breaking apart during washing and drying processes.
What does percale mean?
Percale means that the threads used in making the sheets come from flat, combed cotton, where each thread is made up of two more finer yarns plied together. This pattern makes sheets softer and smoother against your skin but also less durable, which means they require more care when laundering them in comparison with other types of weaves like sateen or twill.
How do I make bamboo sheets last longer?
Blended organic bamboo sets made from a blend of 30% to 70% bamboo mixed with various plant-based fibers depending on their durability usually contain lower thread counts, so they’re soft, smooth, and less durable compared with conventional cotton sets made from 100% cotton threads. You can wash them using cold water instead of hot to prevent damage from chemicals used during manufacturing that may have been heat-stamped into the material itself, use a mild detergent without bleach since it’s damaging to plant fibers, and don’t use high temperatures when drying since bamboo sheets may shrink or over dry which can be damaging to threads.
How do I make organic cotton sheets last longer?
Washing your sets with cold water, not using chlorine bleach (if safe for the fibers), and drying on low heat (lowest setting if possible) can help prolong the life of your conventional cotton bedding.
What’s the difference between all-cotton and 100% cotton?
All-cotton bedding is made from organic materials, but it may not be as eco-friendly since conventional cotton sets are treated with chemicals to boost their color, texture, durability, and resistance to wrinkles after washing. Inorganic dyes that cannot be removed by conventional laundering means may also affect the environment as well as your health if you’re exposed to those chemicals through your bedding. 100% cotton sets, on the other hand, don’t contain these extra chemicals, so they’re safer for both humans and the environment.
Can organic bed sheets be washed in a washing machine?
Yes, you can wash them using cold water instead of hot to prevent damage from chemicals used during manufacturing that may have been heat-stamped into the material itself, use a mild detergent without bleach since it’s damaging to plant fibers, and don’t use high temperatures when drying since bamboo sheets may shrink or over dry which can be damaging to threads.
What does Egyptian cotton mean?
Egyptian cotton means that a set is made from single-ply yarns, which come from long-staple cotton grown in Egypt and spun into fine, silky threads. This type of cotton is durable as well as super soft, making it excellent for those with sensitive skin.
What is Pima cotton?
Pima cotton is especially soft and silky with good durability making them excellent for all types of bedding, including those made from organic materials. They’re also resistant to wrinkles, shrinkage, and pilling, which makes them last longer.
Are organic bed sheets healthier to sleep on?
Yes, organic bedding is made from materials that have been grown, harvested, processed, and manufactured without being exposed to pesticides or chemicals. This means you’re sleeping on a healthier product and reducing your risk of exposure to those chemicals through your sheets since conventional cotton sets are treated with chemicals during the growing process and after they’ve been manufactured before being put on store shelves.
What’s so important about having bed sheets made from organic cotton?
Making sure your sets are made from 100% organic cotton instead of conventional cotton, which has been treated with pesticides and other chemicals, can help limit your exposure to those harmful toxins plus improve the health of both the environment and people who come into contact with them including family members and pets that may sleep on those sheets.
Why should I buy organic sheets?
Conventional bedding uses pesticides and other potentially harmful chemicals during the growing process, harvesting of fibers, manufacturing of materials, or after being put on store shelves, which means that people who may be exposed to those toxins from sleeping on them include family members and pets. If you’re concerned about your health as well as the environment, making sure your sheets are made from 100% organic cotton will help improve both.
Can I make conventional bedding more eco-friendly?
Yes, by washing them with cold water instead of hot to prevent damage from chemicals used during manufacturing that may have been heat-stamped into the material itself, using a mild detergent without bleach since it’s damaging to plant fibers, and not using high temperatures when drying since bamboo sheets may shrink or over dry which can be damaging to threads.
What are some pros of using organic bedding?
100% cotton sets don’t contain chemicals used during growing or manufacturing, plus they’re soft, durable, and easy to maintain, making them worth considering for all types of bedding, including those that are manufactured from organic materials.
The first consideration when choosing organic sheets is your mattress size. If you are looking for great quality with a lot of choices, Tissaj Organic Sheets may be the perfect option for you.
With so many sizes to choose from and thick mattresses available, it is hard to find a better balance between affordability and high-quality materials than this well-known brand!
For those who want good sheets without all the fuss, Whisper Organics Sheets might just do that trick as they have less selection but still get their products directly from India where they grow cotton instead of using harsh chemicals in products like some other brands out there, which leaves us feeling very confident about what we’re purchasing.
When you use a more sustainable product like an organic mattress, it will not only be better for your health but also the environment.
Last update on 2021-10-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API