Restful nights and ache-free mornings stem from sleeping on a bed pillow that’s compatible with your particular sleep habits. If you’ve ever had trouble catching those zzz’s, consider switching up your primary pillow for one with a different density, fill type, or cover material.
Typically, those who sleep on their back or side tend to favor a firm pillow, while stomach sleepers need something soft, so their alignment doesn’t get thrown off. If you’re an omni-sleeper, it’s best to choose one that isn’t too dense but also feels cool to the touch to prevent overheating and tossing in the night.
Goose-down and fiber-fill pillows tend to be softer and more malleable than dense memory foam. We’re starting to see more foam pillows made with cooling covers, vented interior designs, and shredded fill. These materials tend to be more durable and hypoallergenic.
Their construction increases airflow, which can be beneficial to all sleepers. We picked the below pillows for overall comfort and their proficiency in addressing specific needs and sleep positions. Get ready for sweeter dreams!
RALPH LAUREN Pillow – Best Overall
Bottom Line: These fluffy, hypoallergenic pillows provide great across-the-board comfort for all.
If you and your partner have different sleeping styles but still want a uniform look to your bedding, Lauren Ralph Lauren Logo Pillows offers three different densities (medium, firm, and extra firm).
You can rest easy on pillows with the same lofty look but with your preferred level of firmness. The down-alternative fill is hypoallergenic and able to be tossed in the washing machine without degrading the material. Though they’re our top pick overall, they’re still on the affordable end of the spectrum, ranging from $20-30 each for a standard or king-sized pillow, respectively.
- Dimensions: 20" x 28" - Includes 1 pillow only
- Medium Density with Dark Blue Logo on white cover; Ideal for stomach sleepers
- 200-thread count cotton cover; polyester fill; 18 oz. fill
- Machine washable; Made in USA of imported materials
- Manufacturer color: White
More: The Best Wake Up Lights
Acanva Bed Pillows – Best Budget Buy
Bottom Line: Budget- and vegan-friendly, this medium-loft pick is just right for in-between sleepers.
For those who aren’t wowed by the bedding bells and whistles, this no-frills polyester-fill pillow is a super-affordable upgrade that really feels like a splurge.
It offers medium-level support, and though it may be too soft for back sleepers or those with neck pains, it’s plenty plush and huggable for side or stomach sleepers. It’s available to buy in standard, queen, and king sizes.
- Perfect Balance Between Softness & Support: The pillows for sleeping are very soft and provide medium support. The perfect balance between fluffy and firmness to provide gentle support and adequate comfort for head and neck, making them suitable for side, stomach and back sleepers.
- Soft Bed Pillows : Acanva bed pillow is designed to be highly breathable with a subtle stretch and soft touch. They are perfect choices for those who are sensentive for smell to create a maximum comfort for you.
- Easy to Care :Our bed pillows are machine washable, so you'll never have to worry to clean! The pillows for sleeping will always feel and look like new, no clumping!
- Packaging Design:The standard pillows are vacuum packed and rolled in a PE bag for shipping purposes. We suggest removing the vacuum bag, shaking it a few times to make it fluffy and putting them under sun bathing a few hours regularly for healthier use.
- Satisfaction Guarantee:We believe you will like our pillows, please feel free to contact us if you have any suggestions about our products, we love hearing your honest opinions.
More: The Best Silk Sheets
ZenPur Pillow – Best Memory-Foam Pillow
Bottom Line: This model is the new standard for foam pillows, and it’s an all-in-one for any type of sleeper.
This reviewer-favorite pillow is ideal for those looking for something supremely huggable and slightly different from your average plushy pick.
The shredded memory foam allows you to “fluff” it up into the perfect shape — users can even open up the inside and remove some of the foam if it’s too lofty.
This pillow and its cover can be machine-washed, and its proprietary memory foam won’t go flat. If you’re sick of pillows slowly degrading over time, this is one that actually earns its permanent place on your bed. It’s available to buy in a standard, queen, or king size.
- ✅ PREMIUM QUALITY BAMBOO MEMORY FOAM PILLOW: Tired of waking up in the middle of the night due to neck pain or feeling tired and out of energy in the morning? Say goodbye to your sleeping problems and enjoy a great night’s sleep with the ZenPur bamboo pillow for neck pain relief, that perfectly adapts to your body and offers the right neck support and proper spine alignment with the best balance between firmness and softness
- ✅ MADE IN EUROPE: The ZenPur neck pillow for sleeping is produced according to the highest standards and is certified by Oeko-Tex & CertiPUR-US, so you will sleep on a safe and quality bed pillow memory foam that is not made in China and does not contain any harmful substances for people and the environment
- ✅ SAFE & HEALTHY HYPOALLERGENIC PILLOW: Unlike a latex or down pillow, memory foam pillows are perfect for allergy sufferers because they are naturally resistant to allergens. No more waking up with a cough, sneezing, burning eyes or headache
- ✅ BIO BAMBOO HYPOALLERGENIC PILLOW COVER: Together with the cervical pillow, you will receive an organic, 100% natural bamboo viscose pillow case, unzippable and machine washable, that ensures heat balance and regulates your body temperature while soothing your skin. No more sweating at night thanks to a cooling pillow with bamboo fibers that wick away moisture, so you achieve the perfect sleeping comfort through good air circulation
- ✅ BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: The ZenPur orthopedic pillow comes with a 99 nights trial period and 2 years warranty. As a brand new car you just bought, all memory foam pillows have a mild smell when they arrive. Just take off the organic pillow cover, wash it at 65-85°F and air out your pillow for 72 hours before using it
More: How to buy a mattress
Leesa Luxury Hybrid Pillow – Best for Side Sleepers
Bottom Line: Don’t let the low loft fool you — this foam pillow is incredibly supportive.
Those side sleepers who want the pressure-relieving properties of a foam pillow, but are wary of the material’s dense, heat-retaining reputation, will be delighted upon the first snooze with the Leesa pillow.
The feel of its proprietary Avena performance foam (the same used in the brand’s famed mattress) is springy and supportive. It keeps the side sleeper’s neck in proper alignment instead of cricked at an uncomfortable angle. Its lightweight, aerated design also keeps users from continually tossing and turning throughout the night to get to the cool side of the pillow.
The quilted polyester-lycra pillow cover’s soft and cozy feel only adds to the overall comfortability. Even if you opt for a pillowcase over it. It’s available to purchase in a standard or a king size.
- DESIGNED TO BE COOL: Our pillow fabric is made with fibers that give a chilling effect and a ventilated gel comfort layer for a cooler night’s sleep.
- DIFFERENCE IN THE DETAILS: This pillow has a smooth zipper, a seam that goes unnoticed through a pillowcase and quilted zones of down-like filling that stay put.
- CUSTOMIZED COMFORT: No matter how you choose to customize it, the pillow is designed for consistent support and made for your mind to drift into slumber.
- OUR SOCIAL IMPACT: We set out to create a company with heart—we measure our success as much by our bottom line as by our impact on the world. We donate one mattress for every 10 we sell (pillows, too), plant one tree for every mattress we sell and volunteer in our local communities.
More: Smart Bedroom Gadgets
Casper Sleep Pillow – Best for Back Sleepers
Bottom Line: Its fiber-fill is responsive, cuddly, and great for those who love a pillow with a lift.
The Casper pillow is the right fit for those who like something to hold onto as they drift off to dreamland because it almost feels as if it hugs you back.
We recommend this one for back sleepers and for those who like propping themselves up with multiple pillows because it’s one of the loftier picks on our list. It’s a standout for its two-pillows-in-one construction — the cotton-percale outer layer provides the cushioning and cooling factor. At the same time, its supportive inner core helps with responsiveness.
The two-inch gusset along the sides helps keep the fill evenly distributed, so it springs right back to its original shape. This pick is available to buy in a standard or king size.
- 100% cotton cover features a breathable percale weave which increases airflow, so you’re always sleeping cool.
- Innovative pillow-in-pillow design packed with microfiber fill, provides both support and comfort.
- Removable, machine-washable outer layer for easy cleaning.
- 2" gusset serves as the backbone of our pillow’s construction. This allows for better neck alignment and an evenly distributed fill.
- Resistant to clumping, meaning it can bounce back with just a quick fluff. Packaging may vary
More of Our Top Picks:
It’s OK to be picky about your pillows! Here are several other options for those with extra specific sleeping needs.
Nikki Chu Pillow – Best for Stomach Sleepers
Bottom Line: This is the ideal pillow if you love the light and airy feel of down.
Rest easy on this lightweight pillow from Nikki Chu, filled with premium Allied Home down. It has a puffed-up profile that looks fantastic on a made-up bed. It’s ideal for stomach sleepers, as it cradles the head and neck while offering a comfortable balance of sink and support.
The 300-thread-count sateen cotton cover is also conveniently removable for washing, and it’s available in a standard or queen size.
Puredown Natural Goose Down Pillow – Best Down Pillow
Bottom Line: An extra firm down pillow is no longer an oxymoron — this pick from Puredown proves it.
If a restful night of sleep has long been eluding you, buying better-quality bedding isn’t just an indulgence — it’s for your health’s sake. Puredown’s down pillows are a great option for those who have particular density preferences but overall favor a feel that’s cushier than rock-solid.
The pillows are comprised of a humanely sourced blend of European white down and feather fibers, and they’re covered with a smooth sateen cotton shell. The $45 starting price makes them a bit of an investment, but it’s not by any means extravagant for an item you’ll be sleeping with every night for years to come. They’re available a standard or king size.
- ⭐ SIZE & FILLING - With its size 20" x 26" and filling of 85% Grey Goose Feathers and 15% Goose Down, our pillow’s high-quality materials ensure it provides the best sleeping experience.
- 🌼 MEDIUM FIRM DENSITY - Classically designed with basic shape and white shell, our exquisitely processed bed pillow provides not only fluffy shape but also medium firm support and is suitable for back sleepers, side sleepers and combination sleepers, so your neck stays comfortable throughout the night.
- 🌙 DURABLE FABRIC - Made of 100% cotton, the texture of its soft and breathable cover is skin friendly and durable. High-density down-proof lining fabric can effectively prevent inner down and feather from leaking out.
- 💤 ETHICALLY-SOURCED DOWN - All of our pillows follow the Responsible Down Standard (RDS). The stuffing of down and feather is carefully selected from premium and reliable materials and processed to be odorless to provide you with a blissful night’s sleeping experience.
- 💧 WASH INSTRUCTION - Machine wash cold separately gentle cycle, tumble dry low until thoroughly dry. Fluff your pillows every morning could be helpful to keep it in good condition. Pillowcases are recommended.
Viewstar Pillow – Best Firm Pillow
Bottom Line: Not only a great value but these pillows are also perfect for those who need a firmer feel.
Whether you’re dealing with chronic back or neck pain, have had recent surgery, or just prefer a more solid sleep surface, these pillows offer a firm feel to keep you in better alignment as you sleep.
Available in a set of two, they come in three different degrees of firmness, and they’re filled with polyester fiber that won’t trigger any allergies.
No matter what your density preference, they’re each equipped with an outer gusset that keeps the fill evenly distributed, even after going through the spin cycle. They’re also available in a standard, queen, or king size.
- ★【Soft & Fluffy】: Viewstar hotel luxury pillows are filled with squishy down-like fiber for a pleasing plumpness. The gusseted side band design ensures the pillow hold its shape and don't go flatten. The plush fiber shell provides a smooth finish and soft feeling, making you feel like sleeping on a cloud.
- ★【Supportive Comfort】: These pillows are made with a great balance of supple softness and plump firmness, providing gentle support and adequate comfort for head and neck, making them suitable for side, stomach and back sleepers.
- ★【OEKO-Certificated】: These down alternative pillows are certificated by Oeko-tex, the pillow cover and fiber stuffing are made breathable to ensure you a comfortable night's sleep.
- ★【Perfect Size】: These queen pillows measure 20 x 30 inches, they will fit in both queen and queen size pillow cases. Our pillows come vacuum-sealed for shipping, once opened it will start to fluff up. Please leave 24 hours for the pillow to get to full thickness before using it.
- ★【Confident To Buy】:These bed pillows are machine washable with tumble dry low, and will always feel and look like new! All product materials are carefully selected, strictly inspected and well constructed to make the pillows durable to daily usage.
Nestl Coolest Pillow – Best Cooling Pillow
Bottom Line: If overheating and night sweats are an issue, this pillow provides cooling relief.
Though it feels just as responsive as a typical memory-foam pillow, this one’s cooling-gel-infused, hypoallergenic foam and crisp bamboo-fiber cover make it a total dream to sleep with each night. Users love its uniquely slim profile, as well as its effectiveness at reducing body aches.
Those who want a cooling pillow with more loft should opt for a shredded memory-foam pillow instead.
- HEY HOT SLEEPERS! Tired of flipping your pillow over to the cool side throughout the night? It’s time to chill out on the Coolest pillow out there, a pillow designed with cooling fibers that truly keeps you cool. Bid farewell to sweaty nights once and for all. You'll enjoy nothing but peaceful nights ahead!
- DESIGNED FOR BREATHABILITY Nestl Cool gel pillow has a significant effect on regulating head heat and controlling temperature. It continues to regulate your temperature throughout the night, ensuring you stay asleep. IDEAL FOR ALL TYPES OF SLEEPERS!
- MAXIMUM COMFORT AND SUPPORT! Double-sided pillow, featuring cooling ice silk material on one side and soft bamboo rayon on the other side! With adjustable fill. Allows you to adjust the pillow's height and density by removing or adding foam fill. This allows you to customize the feel and fit of the pillow to your specific needs.
- MACHINE WASHABLE - The pillow cover is removable and machine washable, allowing you to clean spills and stains.
- BETTER SLEEP IS OUR PROMISE - Every Nestl purchase includes a 100% money-back satisfaction promise. Our #1 goal is to provide you with unparalleled customer service, and we’re only happy if our customers are happy. Shop with confidence, because no matter what – we’ve got you covered!
Frequently Asked Questions – Best Pillows
Is it important to think about whether I sleep on one side, back or belly when choosing a pillow?
The position of your body during sleep is very important in choosing a pillow. People who frequently sleep on their stomachs will be more satisfied with softer pillows. Those who prefer to sleep on their back should turn to medium-hardness pillows. In contrast, for people who sleep on one side, the cushions with stronger support are optimal.
What shape of the pillow should I choose? Classical or anatomical, i.e., with orthopedic shape?
The shape of the pillow is also important to have a restful sleep. Classic-shaped pillows are suitable for all sleeping positions. They are also addressed to people who tend to bend, fold and tighten the pillow.
Anatomical pillows provide optimal support, making them more suitable for people who prefer to sleep on one side or on the back. They are also suitable for those affected by back or neck pain, the pillow’s anatomical shape allowing the spine to rest in the correct position.
The pillow’s anatomical shape is especially suitable for people who sleep more on one side or on the back. Due to their special shape, the pillows provide excellent neck support, keeping the entire spine in a straight line, which is the correct physiological position. Neck muscles and vertebrae relax and provide a pleasant sleep experience.
Classic pillows are suitable for all sleeping positions. They are also indispensable for all those who use them to tighten and bend the pillow. Some classic pillows also have the option to remove or add fillers to adjust their height and hardness as you please and ensure a peaceful sleep, so you have nothing to lose if you choose these pillows.
Is it better to sleep on a pillow with a natural filling or on one with synthetic filling?
Each filling, whether made of natural or synthetic material, has its own advantages and disadvantages. Let’s go over them one at a time. The hardness of the pillow depends on the filling. The purpose of the different fillings and the quantities in which they are found is to provide effective and adequate support to guarantee each person comfortable sleep, important to wake up well-rested and reinvigorated.
Both natural and synthetic filler pillows have several advantages, your choice depending more on how you sleep. Pillows filled with natural materials provide specific support, while you can achieve any level of hardness using synthetic fillers.
Let’s look at a few examples: if you sleep on one side, you’ll get adequate support from both a memory foam pillow and a latex pillow. If you prefer to sleep on your belly, you’ll probably prefer softer synthetic fibers or goose fluff.
What kind of pillowcase will be best for me?
Pillow covers are also made of natural or synthetic materials or from a combination of the two. As we already know, natural and synthetic materials have their own qualities, strengths, and weaknesses.
When choosing the pillowcase composition, natural materials must be given priority, as it is important that the material breathes, is airy, and ensures a more pleasant and comfortable sleep. Among the natural materials with excellent qualities necessary for a night of healthy and quality sleep are bamboo, hemp, and silk. Hemp is an excellent choice for pillows for many reasons:
- Remember the smell and feeling of freshness.
- Has natural resistance to fungi and microbes.
- Hemp fabric is durable and has a longer service life.
- As time goes on, it becomes softer without losing its advantages.
- It is also very airy, allowing efficient air circulation and removing moisture to provide a more pleasant sleep.
The bamboo. Skin-friendly bamboo fibers exhibit excellent moisture absorption and provide perfect comfort for all those who frequently suffer from the heat at night.
Silk. In addition to grace and delicacy, this natural material is also characterized by incredible ventilation and the ability to regulate the temperature. When you’re hot, silk gives you chills, and when you’re cold, it keeps you warm. Silk thus maintains the right temperature.
If you’re interested in a more affordable pillow, you don’t have to worry, as synthetic material can also perform greatly. Regarding these pillows, the best are those equipped with climate mode, designed to provide additional ventilation.
Is the height of the pillow important for a comfortable sleep?
Both the shape and height of the pillow have an important effect on the efficiency of your sleep. Without going into detail, lower pillows are more suitable for adults with the right wide shoulders. In comparison, higher pillows are aimed at wider adults on the shoulders. The situation improves if the shape of the pillow is also appropriate in relation to its height.
Lower pillow for sleeping on one side.
The shape and height of the pillow are recommended for adults with the right wide shoulders and sleeping on the back or side. Provides adequate support for your neck.
Pillow for all sleeping positions.
The right choice for anyone who prefers to sleep on their stomachs, backs, or side. The cushion with adjustable height and hardness is conducive to comfortable sleep in all positions, ensuring a correct body position.
Higher pillow for sleeping on one side.
Aimed at people wider in the shoulders, who frequently sleep on one side. The pillow adapts to the width of your shoulders by its height.
If you are unsure what the optimum height is for you, choose a pillow with an adjustable height.
How do I choose a children’s pillow?
When choosing a pillow suitable for your child, you should consider the pillow’s shape and height. Children’s pillows must have a special shape that ensures the little one’s body’s correct position.
The pillow’s size and length are suitable for children, being chosen to accommodate the shoulders and head of the little ones and thus guarantee their healthy sleep. Note also that pillows can be washed and are made of airy materials that promote your child’s restful and comfortable sleep.
What other aspects do we need to check when choosing a pillow?
You will most like to choose a pillow that allows washing. Some can be washed entirely, including stuffing, while at others, only the cover can be washed. Both types are advantageous because washing helps you maintain a clean and fresh rest environment.
If you suffer from allergies, you should definitely choose pillows that allow washing at least 60 degrees.
If you fall asleep with difficulty, it is recommended that you turn to a pillow with the addition of plants. The ledit provides a sweet sleep. The chamomile, with its positive and relaxing effects, induces joy and joy.
When is the time to buy a new pillow?
It is recommended to change the pillow after three years of use because, during this time, the pillow accumulates a lot of dust, dead skin, and sweat. It can also appear mites, which reproduce quickly and secretly thousands of excrement. Mites can have a negative effect on health, causing numerous allergies.
It is also recommended to replace the pillow after 3 years because, during this period, the pillow is tased and no longer provides the necessary support, which can cause sore throats, insomnia, etc. That’s why you need to change your pillow regularly, as only a “fit” pillow will provide the right support for your neck and head while also ensuring maximum comfort to wake up well-rested and ready for new adventures.
Looking for the Best Products? Check out our Store
Like this post? Check Out Others Here
Last update on 2021-09-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API