There are several types of mattresses. There’s no evidence that anyone type is better than another, and one person’s comfort level is another’s recipe for a nightmare, so you need to find one that works for you.
With inner-spring mattresses, springs support your body, and layers of padding provide comfort.
The number, shape, and distribution of the springs, the number of turns, and the strength of wire in the springs all influence how much support the mattress gives and how long it will last.
More: The Best Silk Sheets
You can expect to replace an inner-spring mattress every 10-15 years.
Mattresses may have individual springs housed in fabric pockets, a system of springs joined with crosswires, or a continuous coil woven out of a single length of wire.
A layer of natural or synthetic fiber lies over the springs. It prevents you from feeling them and protects the comfort layers.
If you and your partner are very different weights or disturb each other while sleeping, look for a mattress with individual springs to reduce the ripple effect or any roll together.
Another option is a mattress with two continuous coil units side by side, separated by a foam divider.
More: The Best Bed Pillows
Some mattresses provide extra support along the sides of the bed, which may help them last longer. Some provide more support in “zones” where there’s likely to be more pressure, such as around your hips.
This is the layer between you and the springs. It determines how hard or firm the mattress feels against your body.
The padding might be made up of polyester fiber, wool, polyurethane foam, viscoelastic, or latex. Lower grades of foam break apart more easily and may lose their ability to spring back.
An extra layer of cushioning that molds to the shape of your body.
Outer mattress cover
Cheaper, less durable mattresses will probably have a flat cotton cover. More expensive mattresses tend to have a quilted damask cover.
The quilting determines the feel of the surface. If the design is small and closes, the bed will feel firmer, while a larger pattern will feel more cushioned.
More: Smart Bedroom Gadgets
Covers on foam mattresses are often removable for washing. Some manufacturers claim its outer fabrics have properties that help disperse heat and moisture.
Looking after your inner-spring mattress
Manufacturers recommend flipping and turning it regularly to prolong its life and flatten out indentations. However, many people will find it too much of a hassle or too heavy to lift.
Single-sided mattresses don’t need flipping but should be turned head to foot several times a year. At the least, you should regularly air the mattress (at least weekly) and vacuum it from time to time.
Use a mattress protector to keep it clean.
When flipping your mattress, don’t use the handles at the side to support its full weight – they may pull out. They’re intended for repositioning the mattress.
Futons are versatile. Some can be folded up for use as seating, then unfolded for a bed. The cheapest futons are filled with layers of cotton wadding and provide a relatively hard sleeping surface. Futons with alternating layers of wool and possibly latex provide more comfort.
You’ll need to keep the fillings well ventilated and fluffed up, and futons should be aired and turned weekly to avoid mildew.
Futons should only be used on a flat slat base of unvarnished wood (varnished slats don’t allow moisture to escape). You can expect to replace a futon every 5-8 years.
Memory foam mattresses
These mattresses are topped with a layer of temperature-sensitive viscoelastic material or memory foam. The most well-known is Tempur, a material originally developed by NASA.
As it’s a type of foam, you should sink into it and feel your weight absorbed. This takes the pressure off your joints and increases circulation.
It’s sensitive to heat and, because it molds to your body, memory foam helps you “sleep warm”.
More: The Best Wake Up Lights
The greater the foam density, the greater the durability. You can expect a good-quality memory foam mattress to last at least 15 years.
Latex foam mattresses
Natural latex mattresses use rubber, a renewable resource from plantations.
Some brands also claim to be good for allergy sufferers as they harbor less dust than other mattress types and have been treated to inhibit the growth of bacteria, mold, and dust mites.
Latex mattresses are heavy, but you don’t need to turn them. You can expect a latex foam mattress to last at least 15 years. Another option is a latex overlay, which can be used with a firm innerspring mattress.
Bed-in-a-box foam mattresses
Online shopping, free delivery, competitive pricing, and a generous trial period (at least 100 days) make bed-in-a-box mattresses a convenient way to buy a mattress.
These mattresses are made up of 2 or 3 different foam layers (usually a high-density polyurethane foam core with outer layers of gel-infused foam, latex foam, or memory foam). Packaged vacuum-sealed, they can be transported straight from the warehouse to your door.
Bed-in-a-box mattresses generally only offer one comfort level (there’s no choice between soft or firm).
When we tested bed-in-a-box mattresses compared with an inner-spring mattress, we found the main difference was how firmness changed over time.
The inner-spring mattress became firmer, while foam mattresses became softer.
This was down to the different materials – foam softens, while metal springs get stiffer. A bed-in-a-box mattress should last at least 10 years before needing to be replaced.
If you’re not happy with your bed-in-a-box during the trial period, the retailer will collect it for free.
Terms and conditions vary between companies, and you’ll usually need to own the mattress for a set period of time before returning it.
- 3-layer comfort: 2-inch cooling gel-infused alternative-latex top layer, 3-inch support-foam middle layer with airflow channels for breathability, and 7-inch durable foam base
- Instant support: responsive top layer made of LURAcor alternative-latex foam offers more bouncy rebound and less “sink” compared to traditional memory foam; helps keep spine in alignment and provides relief to shoulders, hips, and other pressure points
- Firm feel: promotes a restful night's sleep for any body type and sleeping position (front, side, or back)
- Premium quality: hypoallergenic, CertiPUR-US certified, and made in the USA of domestic and imported parts; luxurious quilted cover for extra softness
- Convenience and warranty: vacuum packed and shipped directly to ensure simple setup; please allow up to 72 hours for mattress to reach full height; backed by an Amazon Basics 10-year limited warranty
- COOL & HIGHLY BREATHABLE- Novilla queen size mattress constructed with a 4-layer all-foam system. On top is a gel-infused memory foam that keeps you cool. The egg crate designed foam layer increases airflow through all areas of this queen memory foam mattress. Mattresses’ quality cover with Bamboo fabrics also enhance 30% breath-ability. Ensures you stay asleep longer with this bed mattress.
- RELIEVES PAINS & DAMPENS PARTNER’S MOVEMENTS- Novilla 12'' gel memory foam medium firm queen size mattress includes 4 different foam layers. Gel memory foam is combined with comfort foam to distribute pressure and mold to your body. And the two layers high density foam that improve durability, which to give your body support for proper spinal alignment. Also to resist sagging and prevent roll-off. Whether you sleep alone or next to a partner, there is no disruption.
- A SAFE & COMFORTABLE SLEEP ENVIRONMENT- Mattress is made of CertiPUR-US Certified foam, without any harmful off-gassing and substances like formaldehyde, mercury, and other heavy metals. Removable bed mattress cover use skin-friendly rayon fabric, heavenly soft to touch. Novilla queen size memory foam mattress gives you a healthier and cloud-like experience.
- QUEEN MATTRESS IN A BOX & FITS ALL BED FRAMES- Such fun to receive a mattress that’s rolled and compressed in a box . Follow the instructions and see how the magic happens. It is easy to set up and fits all kinds of queen bed frames, even on the floor. Mattress is recommended 72 hours for air out and reshape.
- HASSLE FREE FOR RETURN & REFUND- Mattresses are covered by a 10-year limit warranty and 30-days money-back return policy. With our professional customer care, we help deal with any dissatisfaction problems. You can enjoy this memory foam queen mattress without concerns while you are following your dream.
- Bamboo charcoal infusions eliminate odors and pull moisture away from the skin for a naturally hypoallergenic bed
- High-quality transition foam infused with aloe vera creates a calming and relaxing sleep environment that promotes daily freshness
- Medium-plush feel; memory foam, transition foam, and coils bring soft and gentle comfort underpinned by a well-balanced layer of support
- Created to provide luxury at an affordable price, this mattress is backed by a 10-year warranty against manufacturer defects
- Compressed, rolled, and shipped in a box for simple setup; easily fits through narrow hallways and staircases
- THE RIGHT COMBINATION - Our special recipe for rejuvenating rest. Refreshing green tea and moisture-absorbing ActivCharcoal infused into pressure-relieving memory foam that cradles your shape so you awake free of aches and pains and fresh as a daisy
- PRESSURE-RELIEVING FOAMS - 3 inches conforming memory foam, 2 inches soft, airflow enhancing comfort foam, and 7 inches durable, high density base support foam; ideal for side sleepers and petite to average weight sleepers
- CERTIPUR US CERTIFIED - Highest quality foam is CertiPUR US Certified for durability, performance, and content
- EXPERTLY PACKAGED - Our technology allows this mattress to be efficiently compressed into one box that’s easily shipped and maneuvered into the bedroom; simply unbox, unroll and this mattress does the rest, expanding to its original shape within 72 hours
- Worry-free 10 year limited warranty included; twin mattress supports a maximum weight of 250 lbs, while all other sizes can support up to 500 lbs
- 8 inch hybrid mattress combine hypallergenic memory foam with the traditional support of an innerspring mattress for a medium-firm feel perfect for kids rooms, guest beds, or an affordable low-profile option
- A plush layer of memory foam helps align the spine to minimize pressure points for increased comfort
- Finished with a cozy knit cover, this mattress is compressed as a bed in a box for convenient delivery and setup
- Available in a medium firm 8 inch profile, a medium 10 inch profile, or a plush 12 inch profile that also features gel infusions and individually encased coils
- Packaging process may leave small brown flecks called carbons in the mattress packaging; These carbons are harmless pieces of plastic and will not stick to your mattress; 10 year limited warranty
Like this post? Check Out Others Here
Last update on 2021-10-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API