Brushes are an essential item in every makeup kit. They can sometimes be more important than the makeup itself because if you don’t have good tools to apply them, you might as well be using the worst products on the market.
You need to use good quality brushes to achieve a good effect with your makeup, and whilst it would be lovely if we could all afford to blow $70 odd dollars on a Dior Foundation Brush, this isn’t always an option.
These are a few tips that will help you to determine and to pick not a good but a great brush.
If you test a brush on the inside of your wrist, you’ll be able to get a bit of an idea of the quality of the bristles themselves. If the bristles feel scratchy, stiff, itchy, or annoying when you brush them along the inside of your wrist, ditch it.
If it doesn’t feel good on your wrist, it’s DEFINITELY not going to feel good on your face. Not only this, but when you go to apply your makeup, it will appear blotchy and uneven.
When you first test a new brush, try pulling at the bristles. A few bristles should come out and shed as this is completely normal for new brushes, but if you find the brush sheds more bristles than a few and continues to shed, you know the brush isn’t well made.
The ferrule of the brush is actually reasonably important (FYI: The ferrule is what connects the bristles to the handle of the brush, this is normally metal or plastic (metal is generally stronger). When you’re testing out a brush, try applying large amounts of pressure to the ferrule with your index finger.
If the ferrule seems to melt, move, dent, change shape or look any different after you’ve applied the pressure from your finger, give it a miss. Also, try and pay attention to see if the brush has little crimps (these are normally two little lines at the bottom of the ferrule that are dented into the metal/plastic and are the same color).
If the brush has these, it’s going to be stronger than a brush that does not have these in the ferrule. The glue used to keep the ferrule in place and join the bristles, and the handle together is not strong enough, so the indent helps to keep it in place better.
You need to be able to apply pressure to a brush. If you can’t, then the brush is simply useless. When you’re applying a particular product, you need to be able to apply a good amount of pressure (think eyeliner, brow enhancer, etc.). So try pressing down the brush on the back of your hand or try drawing precision lines on the back of your hand.
If the bristles are going in every direction or are moving, the brush will just be useless. The bristles can move anywhere from 1mm to 5mm this may not sound like a lot, but when you are doing precise work, it sure as heck is.
This is a little trick I learned and one that some of the best MUA’s in the world use. When you want to buy a new makeup brush, try balancing on it on the very tip of its bristles. Hold the brush vertically (with the bristles pointing down) on the back of your hand, then lightly bounce the brush.
This will help you to test the strength of the bristles. If the bristles have a slight bend, this is perfectly fine and normal. Still, if they splay or flatten completely, the brush will not be any good and will mess up your whole makeup application.
If a quick few of the bristles shed, this is fine and completely normal, new brushes tend to lose a few bristles at first, but any more than a few, then you’re looking at a bad brush
The brush head (the ferrule as well as the way the bristles have been assembled) should not be loose, spin easily or wobble on the handle; if they do, you have struck a bad brush.
Now, after this, you should be able to pick out a good brush a lot easier. Remember, expensive doesn’t necessarily mean quality, and inexpensive doesn’t necessarily mean bad quality. There’s probably still one question on your mind, though…
Which should I buy, Natural or synthetic brushes?
For things like foundation, concealer, and lipstick/gloss, it’s obvious a synthetic brush would be the best option as these work easier with liquid/cream products.
On the other hand, products that do not require synthetic bristles do not necessarily need to have a natural animal hair bristle used.
Most people are all caught up in Natural bristle brushes, and it’s often the first choice for many makeup artists as they do give a great application. Synthetic bristles are often not looked as highly upon.
Natural hair brushes contain a cuticle around them which helps to grab powder products easier while synthetic brushes do not, however nowadays, many companies are coming out with synthetic bristled brushes that tend to look, feel and perform just like natural animal hair brushes (except you can use them with liquid and cream brushes too!). Such as one of my favorite brands To-Ray!.
If you find that animal hair brushes work better for you, then great, they’ll be your best pick! But if you find that synthetics work better, then they are a great option too (not to mention more versatile).
Just remember, quality does not always mean the most expensive brushes.
Makeup Brushes Guide
Keshima Duo Fibre Stippling Brush
- AMAZING AIRBRUSH LOOK - Create an airbrushed, beautiful finish. Use with any type of makeup.
- EVEN AND STREAK FREE MAKEUP APPLICATION, FLAWLESS FINISH – The duo fiber design allows the brush to pick up and hold product in the base bristles – while the top, feathery bristles give you a smooth, flawless finish. Apply foundations, concealers, blushes and highlighters perfectly.
- HIGHEST QUALITY MATERIALS - Made with premium quality synthetic fibers - as soft as real hair, don't absorb foundation into the brush itself, and are easily cleaned.
- NO SHEDDING - All Keshima brushes undergo a 7-step process during manufacture to prevent shedding.
- THE PERFECT ADDITION to anyone’s makeup brush collection. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Money Back!
One of our favorite brushes for applying foundation – densely packed and can make any foundation look sheer and natural without absorbing too much product. Also, a full-proof contour brush under the cheekbones and to apply cream blush.
Duo Fibre Powder Blending Brush
- The Duo Fiber brush is best used to bronze the skin. Works with cream, powder, and minerals.
- COMPARES TO: Department Store $$$ Brands
- DESIGN: The bristles feature a flat, dome shape, airy brush head with long and short bristles. Long bristles for blending, short bristles to hold the product. This brush type aids in a lightweight application. A soft, light, air brushed finish.
- PROFESSIONAL QUALITY: Synthetic bristles are hypoallergenic for even the most sensitive skin. Copper ferrules with dual crimps and lightweight wood handles ensure strength and durability.
Nobody’s perfect, and when you are in a rush and still want to look pulled together, it’s not unusual to go over the top with the blush, bronzer, contour, or even end up with cakey foundation. This brush is the easiest and most effective way to tone down over the top makeup without reaching for the face wipes.
Large Fluff Brush
- Real Techniques Ultra Plush Powder Makeup Brush helps you create a flawless finish with its large, domed shape for all-over application
- RT 201 powder brush has a plush large head for sheer application and a smooth, mattified finish
- Best used with powder foundations, powder bronzers, and setting powders
- Provides smooth, high-definition results with tapered bristles to help blend powders seamlessly
- Extended aluminum ferrules that are light weight, easy to use, and color coded
You can use this brush for setting your eye shadow primer and creamy shadows. It also comes in particularly handy for contouring underneath the cheekbones and down the sides of the nose.
Precision Crease Brush
- 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐂𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐁𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐂𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 - If you’ve ever struggled with color settling into your crease and looking harsh after an hour or two, this brush will take care of that problem completely. Our crease brush has a medium-sized, slightly tapered head for the smoothest makeup application ever. The soft, densely-packed synthetic bristles make for shadow blending that’s seamless and streak-free while not irritating the skin at all.
- 𝐓𝐫𝐲 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐖𝐚𝐧𝐭 - This crease eyeshadow brush works with all makeup types including creams, as well as loose and pressed powders. This means you don’t have to have a different brush every time you want to try something new and it lets you try new trends when you’re feeling bold. Get in there and get gorgeous!
- 𝐍𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐞𝐝𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 - Forget about seeing bristles on your eyes because your brushes are shedding. Made with the highest quality synthetic bristles, this brush is firm and durable enough to perfectly frame your eyelids and carve out your crease without having to fuss over fallout.
- 𝐃𝐢𝐬𝐜𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐔𝐧𝐢𝐪𝐮𝐞 𝐓𝐞𝐜𝐡𝐧𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐲 - All premium synthetic fiber used in EIGSHOW brushes area special thermoplastic engineering polymer that is refined form casein, soybean, silk fibroid creating our patented Nanometer Fiber. It is exquisitely, soft, flexible and can effectively collect and deliver powder, liquid and cream products.
- 𝟏𝟎𝟎% 𝐇𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐥𝐞-𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐲 𝐁𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐆𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞 - You can try this brush for 90 days with no risk at all. If you don’t love the way it blends and contours, return it to get a full refund with no questions asked. We’re confident you’ll get the most natural-looking eye shadow that you’ve ever seen with this crease brush.
Having hooded eyelids definitely isn’t a blessing, but this brush is. This is one of the very few brushes which fits into and defines super tiny eye.
Fluffy Blending Eye Brush
- BLENDS EYESHADOW & SETS CONCEALER: The e.l.f. Fluffy Eye Blender Brush blends eyeshadow with ease and can be used to set concealer with powder.
- SOFT FOCUS EFFECT: The soft bristles blur the edges of eyeshadow for a soft-focus effect.
- 100% VEGAN & SYNTHETIC BRISTLES: All e.l.f. bruhses are made of synthetic, vegan fibers. All e.l.f. products are 100% cruelty-free and Vegan.
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS: Cleanse regularly with the e.l.f. Cosmetics Daily Brush Cleaner and e.l.f. Cosmetics Brush Shampoo to maintain perfect color application and to increase the longevity of your brush.
These types are perfect for blending out harsh shadow lines and setting concealer to prevent creasing and mattifying a lip color.
Flat Eyeliner Brush
- Perfect for: Making the eyes pop
- Made of: All vegan, soft synthetic fibers
- Length: 6.5 inches (16.5 cm)
- UPC: 811099001355
It’s perfect for the push & wiggle technique. It comes in handy when creating cat eyes or getting a precision lip-color application.
Precision Eyeliner Brush
- 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝟏𝟎𝟎% 𝐒𝐲𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐜 𝐁𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬 - Say good-bye to bad smudges or sloppy eye makeup applications. This eyeliner brush’s synthetic bristles are made from the highest quality Synthetic Bristles enabling it to deliver the finest and most precise lines-even in the tightest, smallest, and hard to reach areas of your eyes and lashes.
- 𝐅𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐛𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐡 𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐥𝐲 – If you’re looking for an eyeliner brush that’s made with the highest attention to detail, you can’t go wrong with this completely hand manufactured eyeliner brush. From the fine wood materials we use for handles and fibers for our bristles, you can always count on EIGShow brushes enabling you to look as beautiful, lively, and intriguing as ever!
- 𝐖𝐞 𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐰𝐞𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐮𝐩 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞r –Just judging by the fine materials we’ve gathered, crafted, and refined for every EIGShow brush, you know you’re in for a great makeup experience. Our brush handles are easy to grip, maneuver, and handle. Whether you’re trying to create fine lines on your lashes or trying to reach hard and tricky parts of your eyes, our brushes deliver the smooth look you’re looking for while remaining soft and gentle on your skin.
- 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐛𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐡 𝐰𝐞 𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫 𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 –EIGShow’s mission is simple: “Master Your Beauty, Make You Charming!” Every single product we offer is made to the highest quality standards from only the finest and most durable materials. This is how we fulfill our mission of helping you live up to your fullest beauty potential!
- 𝟏𝟎𝟎% 𝐑𝐢𝐬𝐤-𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐲 – Buy this eyeliner brush with full confidence! We are so sure you’ll be thrilled with the look you can achieve with this eyeliner brush that we back it up with a 100% money back guarantee.
This brush is the secret to achieving a good and even cat eye, it’s so precise, and you are able to create a flick easily at the outer corner of the eye!
- Retractable Seal Design in Travel Size: The retractable seal design effectively protects the lip brush from dust and injury no matter in travel or in your purse.
- Premium Synthetic Fiber Hair with Pointed Bristles Lip Brush Design, will ensure everything stays squeaky clean. Most importantly, it allows you to get a precise application of product when lining the lips.
- User-friendly Design & Fine Brush for Quick Make-up. Easy to clean and makeup artist tested.
- L.Y.L Pro dual end 2 in 1 double sided makeup brush design, perfect as lip brush ,eye brush and concealor brush.
- 100% money back guarantee and 0 risk of shopping if you are not satisfied with our lip brush. ORDER NOW ï¼
Whilst this brush looks like a standard old typical lip brush, it has a unique shape, it’s not too round or too square, and it’s amazing at giving precise definition to the cupid’s bow.
Like this post? Check Out Others Here
Last update on 2022-06-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API