Polish those teeth and get the perfect smile you’ve been dreaming of with our selection of the best teeth whitening kits
If you ever find yourself trying to hide your pearly whites when you smile because they’re more, well, yellow these days, then it may be time to invest in a touch of teeth whitening. And before you panic about the pound signs, fear not.
Although dental surgery treatments are undoubtedly more effective due to the higher concentrations of whitening ingredients like peroxide, many DIY home kits can do a decent enough job for a fraction of the price.
With teeth naturally becoming more yellow as we age, it’s no wonder such kits are flying off the shelves. Anyone partial to tea, coffee, and red wine – as well as any smokers out there – may be particularly grateful for one as their teeth are more prone to staining.
But how do you know which teeth whitening kit will give you the brightest, whitest smile? Read on to find out, as well as our guide about what to look out for.
The Best Teeth Whitening Kits To Buy:
1. iWhite Instant Teeth Whitening Kit:
The best pre-made tray teeth whitening kit
This pack of 10 pre-filled trays is quick and easy to set up and use, thanks to the trays already containing the gel, which fit onto the front and back of your teeth.
Our tester’s teeth were visibly whiter after 20 minutes. You can use it for five consecutive days for results that last, particularly if you invest in the iWhite toothpaste and mouthwash for daily use afterward, plus the polisher for when you start to get plaque build-up.
In fact, iWhite used to sell the whole lot together as an ‘advanced kit,’ and it’s a damn shame they stopped. Have a paper towel at the ready as it can all get pretty messy with dribble.
2.Crest 3D White Whitestrips Vivid Plus Whitening Kit:
- Last 12 months and beyond
- Use once a day for 30 minutes
- Removes 14 years of teeth stains for a whiter smile
- Delivers professional-level teeth whitening results
- Advanced Seal Technology’s no slip grip stays put so you can talk and drink water while whitening teeth
The best teeth whitening strips
Strips are simpler to use than gel-based kits, and they’re cheaper too. The results aren’t quite as quick on the downside, but if you’re prepared to wait a couple of weeks, you will start to notice a difference.
Be warned you have to wear the strips for an hour. Still, the good news is that they’re completely safe to use because they are completely peroxide-free. You don’t need to worry about sore gums or lips or teeth sensitivity, which you can get with some other teeth whitening strips.
And unlike many strips on the market, these are less prone to slippage. A very worthwhile investment – and you get 24 strips in the pack.
3. Luster Pro Light Teeth Whitening System:
- UP TO 7X FASTER: Than all major whitening kits. You get visibly whiter teeth in just 30 minutes. The Luster Premium White Pearl Infused Pro Light Dental Whitening System is 7x faster than other teeth whitening led light systems. Includes Pro Light, Serum, Rinse, and Pearl Infused Mint Whitening Toothpaste
- 6 SHADES WHITER IN 3 DAYS: Our teeth whitening light system includes our one of a kind patented whitening serum that helps to make your teeth 6 shades whiter in just 3 days
- LIGHT AND HEAT TECHNOLOGY: Our patented Xenon teeth whitening light is proven more effective than teeth whitening LED light systems. It uses both light and heat, making the Luster Premium White teeth whitening system quicker and more effective
- EASY TO USE: Have white teeth for any occasion, even last-minute ones. Our teeth whitening light dental kit helps whiten teeth in just three easy steps. It also comes with detailed, easy-to-follow instructions and bonus tips for better whitening!
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Our Pearl Infused Pro teeth whitening kit was developed by dentists for professional results
The Best-LED gel teeth whitening kit under $40
The first thing in this kit’s favor is that it’s been developed by dentists. The second is that it comes with an additional whitening light to help make the whole process a lot quicker.
Thirdly, you can use it to suit your lifestyle – over two days with 10 treatments each day, during weekdays with four treatments each day; or over a whole week with two or three treatments each day. You apply the whitening solution to the teeth, then brush with the gel, then apply the light for two minutes.
We found the results noticeable and long-lasting. There’s a color chart so you can see how many shades lighter your teeth actually get. But it is a bit of a pain to have to do 20 treatments in total.
4. Curaprox Black is White Toothpaste and Toothbrush:
- Curaprox Black is White Charcoal Toothpaste and CS 5460 Toothbrush Set
- BRIGHTER SMILE: Whiter and healthier teeth; remove stains and discoloration with this activated carbon paste without any abrading or bleaching
- REFRESHINGLY LEMONY: Cool, with a hint of citrus, this whitening toothpaste is plant-based and freshens your breath
- SOFT TOOTHBRUSH: The CS 5460 ultra-soft toothbrush uses CUREN filaments instead of nylon, and enhancing the gentle whitening process even more and leaving your gums happy and healthy
- SAFE TO USE: Perfect for sensitive teeth, the fluoride-based mixture is free of SLS, triclosan, bleaching agents, and plastic particles
The best teeth whitening toothpaste
Unlike typical whitening toothpaste that contains abrasive particles and bleaching agents, this charcoal-based toothpaste uses activated carbon to gently absorb and remove stain particles that discolor teeth – the idea being that it’s kinder to your enamel and ultimately a more healthy, safe way to get a gleaming set of gnashers.
Also, unlike other teeth whitening toothpaste, it doesn’t dry out the mouth. It’s probably the priciest toothpaste you’ll buy in your life, but it’s a lot cheaper than some of the gel kits, and we found whiter teeth after just a few days.
Don’t be alarmed by the black frothing at the mouth when you use it (although you might want to warn your other half) as it leaves your mouth feeling really clean, with a fresh, ever-so-slightly lingering taste.
5. Rapid White 1 Week Tooth Whitening System:
The best cheap teeth whitening kit
This is a bargain, as well as being a doddle to use. After applying the accelerator onto your teeth using the sponge applicator, you put the gel-filled trays into your mouth and leave them for five to 10 minutes before brushing your teeth with the toothpaste.
It’s not as uncomfortable as some, so no need for jaw aches, and although this product doesn’t seem to work for everyone (it gets some poor reviews online), we found our pearly whites shining more brightly well before the recommended usage time of a week (and as such, it also gets some five-star reviews online).
Bearing this in mind, perhaps don’t rush out to buy them in bulk you’ve checked the first time works for you.
6.VieBeauti Teeth Whitening Kit:
- SMILE CONFIDENTLY AGAIN with our home teeth whitening light kit. Five powerful LED bulbs accelerate our teeth whitener gel to break-up and dissolve stubborn stains caused by food, wine, smoking and aging. Pre-mixed whitening gel syringes are mess-free and easy to use in the privacy of your home, without expensive dentist visits.
- THE MOST POWERFUL tooth whitening kit available, it features dentist-grade 35% carbamide polymer gel whitener and a light unit with 5 of the brightest LED bulbs to act as a catalyst. Stop wasting money and time in a dental chair. Regain your youthful, stain-free smile in the privacy of your home, for a fraction of the cost.
- INTEGRATED 10-MINUTE TIMER lets you relax with a book or tackle other tasks without watching the clock. In just 3 short sessions totaling 30 minutes, you will see visibly brighter and whiter teeth. Our gentle teeth bleaching kit includes a remineralizing gel to deter strengthen tooth enamel and deter sensitivity to hot and cold foods.
- 1-SIZE-FITS-ALL universal mouth tray snaps on and off of the LED light unit for easy cleaning. You also receive 3 syringes of whitening gel; 1 syringe of remineralizing gel; 2 moldable whitening trays for friends or family to use; and a plastic storage case to keep your LED whitening tray clean and protected in between uses.
- FDA-REGISTERED FACILITIES adhere to rigorous quality control protocols for your safety and peace of mind. The VieBeauti LED Teeth Whitening System is powered by 2 energy-sipping batteries, which we have pre-installed. Simply remove the plastic shield from the battery compartment to begin using it at once.
The best-LED gel teeth whitening kit
You get a lot of bang for your buck with this kit that contains an overwhelming amount of equipment when you open the box – three each of whitening gels, syringes and gel saving syringe tips, two mouth trays, LED light, and instructions.
But fear not, as the instructions are really clear, and it only took two applications for us to notice a difference.
It can take a bit of practice with the trays, so you could try them in your mouth before heating them to fit, and even then, be prepared to do it a couple of times before you get it right.
More: The Best Body Scrubs
7. Colgate Optic White Gel Whitening Pen:
- Two 3 oz. tubes of Colgate Optic White Renewal Whitening Toothpaste, Enamel Strength
- 10X whiter teeth (vs. a fluoride toothpaste without hydrogen peroxide, after 4 weeks of use as directed)
- This teeth whitening toothpaste has a patented 3% hydrogen peroxide formula
- Goes beyond surface stains removal to whiten deeply
- This stain removal enamel toothpaste is enamel-safe for daily use
The best whitening pen kit
You’ll feel well on the way to a Hollywood smile even if you have stains and blemishes from coffee, tea, wine, or nicotine after just a few goes with this pen – and there’s enough included for a whopping 60+ applications.
All this and it cost only just over a tenner. Having rinsed your teeth with water, you twist the base of the pen to release the tiniest spot of gel on the brush, then apply a thin later, digging right in between the teeth, then leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing with water again.
As such, it’s easy to work it into your daily routine, and it’s also very transportable, making it a good option for when you’re on the go.
How to buy the right teeth whitening kit for you
There are tons of teeth whitening products out there in the market today; whitening strips, whitening toothpaste, whitening toothbrushes, etc. Most of these products only work on some people, while others just have not good reactions. The best teeth whitening kits would be the ones that suit your teeth and your personal oral health condition.
If you want to find a product that could solve all your whitening concerns, you should get the help of a dentist. A dentist could give you a list of products that could be used in combination with each other so that you could get a good result.
Some of the best tooth whitening gels available today are Whitening Strips, Whitening Toothpastes, Whitening Toothbrushes, Whitening Strips, etc. This article will discuss Whitening Agent, which is the active ingredient in tooth whitening gel and teeth whitening strips.
An active ingredient is necessary for a tooth whitening product because it accelerates the whitening process by enhancing the chemical reaction between whitening bleach and the enamel. However, the active ingredient is not that safe for everyone because some people are allergic to hydrogen peroxide. So, it is important that before using any products that contain hydrogen peroxide, you consult your dentist and get his approval.
Whitening toothpaste works on the same principle as whitening strips, but they are applied in a more concentrated manner. Whitening toothpaste is most suited for people who do not have time to go to the dentist for a tooth whitening treatment but still want a bright white smile.
Whitening toothbrushes are suitable for those who don’t have the time to brush regularly but still want a nice white smile. They are also used by those who do not like to floss because the toothbrush’s bristles are soft, which allows plaque to adhere to them.
What types of teeth whitening kits are there?
This works harder than regular toothpaste to remove stains and plaque. To achieve this, it may contain a mildly abrasive or bleaching agent, while others contain activated carbon. You can use them in conjunction with other home kits.
These easy-to-use adhesive strips contain a whitening gel that you stick to the surface of your teeth, usually for around half-an-hour, sometimes longer – a process that needs to be repeated daily for a set amount of time, generally around a fortnight.
Home bleaching kit
These can look horribly complicated, but a good kit will have a comprehensive user manual to guide you through the steps, which basically involve dipping the molds into boiling water before fitting them onto your teeth (a bit like a mouth guard).
You then add the whitening gel into the tray, which you insert against your teeth. They give you quick results.
This is the poor man’s version of the custom lightening tray – in that the process is the same, but the tray isn’t fitted to the exact shape of your mouth. Provided you can cover your teeth’ entire surface area with your tray, it’s a good compromise.
Custom lightening trays
This is the type of kit that dentists are most likely to recommend, but you will need to work with them to mold your tray specifically for your teeth and show you how to apply the gel and tray at home.
If you want to work with a professional and are prepared to spend a bit more but can’t afford laser or LED treatment, this will get you the best results of all the kits listed here.
LED gel kit
The LED teeth whitening light won’t make your teeth whiter, but it will accelerate the teeth whitening gel and make it more effective at breaking down tough stains. If you don’t have the custom-made tray created to your exact mouth shape, then the LED light is good for reducing the amount of time the gel has to stay in your mouth.
Teeth whitening pen
This kit contains a thin, plastic tube containing whitening gel. It is small enough to keep in your handbag or even your pocket, making it highly transportable. It’s good for touch-ups and hard-to-reach places.
How long do teeth whitening kits take to work?
Some treatments last a few days, while other treatments last more than ten days.
Are home teeth whitening kits safe?
As long as you get your kit from a reputable source and follow the instructions carefully, then yes. All the products we have reviewed are non-harmful.
However, it is still best to choose your kit only after a consultation with your dentist. Some people have more sensitive teeth.
Some people experience teeth sensitivity when using strips, but some strips are gentler than others.
Meanwhile, home bleaching kits can cause blistering and sensitivity to the gums and lips. However, gum shields are provided to help avoid this – and even if some of the solution leaks on and does cause soreness, these side effects only last a few days.
Some kits warn against using during pregnancy or when breastfeeding, and kits also usually suggest a minimum age of use.
Refrain from using teeth whitening kits too often, as studies show this can negatively affect tooth enamel.
Last update on 2022-06-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API