What are pores, you ask? Pores are the tiny holes on our skin that allow sebum to be released on the surface. So, what’s the problem? Once in a while, these miniature holes aren’t so minuscule and become visibly apparent, which can directly result from genetics, excess oil and debris, or aging.
One of the ways to prevent acne, refine skin texture, and clarify skin is to use Probiotic Skincare products. Using those products will help the holes of the skin stay clear and closed. Take precaution with these face primers and preventative creams, ensuring pores stay hidden and healthy.
Benefit Cosmetics The POREfessional Face Primer
- Quickly minimize the appearance of pores and fine lines for smoother-than-smooth skin.
- Apply this silky, lightweight balm alone, under or over makeup.
- The translucent formula contains a vitamin E derivative known to protect skin.
- Compliments All Skin Tones.
One use of Benefit’s shrinking potion, and you’ll start taking this tube’s title literally. This primer believes in the minimalistic, as it shrinks visible marks and smoothes out facial features for a spotless canvas. Key components of the formula include an oil-free base and a ton of vitamin E to shield skin from hazardous radicals. Bonus: It’s completely translucent, so you can still keep that no-makeup makeup look in check.
Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More
- Dr. Brandt Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer. A pore-refiner and makeup primer in one, this cult-favorite is an instant fix for flawless skin. Proven to reduce shine, it instantly absorbs excess oil and mattifies the skin.
- Smooth, Flawless Finish. This velvety formula helps diminish the look of pores and imperfections, mattifies the skin, reduces shine and creates a smooth canvas. Use it on its own, as a makeup base or over makeup to absorb oil.
- Doctor-Designed Formulas with Safe, Powerfully Effective Ingredients. Oil-absorbing spheres mattify skin and diffuse light to minimize appearance of pores. A derivative of salicylic acid gently exfoliates dead skin cells and oil build-up to smooth skin.
- Part of your Daily Skincare Regimen. Every morning, apply after your moisturizer. Wear it alone for a natural look, or under make-up as a primer to instantly absorb and erase shine. You can also apply it throughout the day for a quick fix.
- Backed by Science. As a leader in clinical skincare, we use established clinical and dermatological expertise to offer safe and effective solutions that treat a variety of needs. Our formulas deliver maximum results for healthy, beautiful skin.
Say buh-bye to blackheads! Dr. Brandt’s Pores No More extracts oils and tightens the skin on impact. Note that this is a fabulous treatment to go on pre-makeup application to ensure smoother, clearer skin.
More: The Best Body Scrubs
Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer
- VEIL MINERAL PRIMER. Elevate your foundation with a silky, state-of-the-art primer that extends its wear for a perfect complexion that lasts.
- FEATURES. This oil-free primer conceals redness (even rosacea) while minimizing the look of pores, fine lines and wrinkles to create a smooth, even canvas. Foundation glides on and stays on over the airy formula, which delivers SPF 15 sun protection and repels water so makeup always looks freshly applied.
- HOW TO USE. Apply ½ to 1 pump of Veil Mineral Primer to clean, moisturized skin prior to concealer, foundation and powder application. This formula works with any cream, liquid and powder foundation.
- FORMULATED WITHOUT. This product is vegan and was not tested on animals. It does not contain parabens, sulfates, phthalates, nanoparticles, oil, fragrance, gluten or synthetic dyes.
A personal favorite of this beauty editor, Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer works miracles. One pump of this luxurious cream neutralizes the skin by absorbing excess oils and minimizing pores’ appearance (and will also leave your fingers feeling baby soft — how’s that for a perk?).
Jane Iredale Smooth Affair Facial Primer and Brightener
- Brightens and refines the skin.
- Leaves a luminous glow.
- Gives a long-lasting foundation application.
Jane Iredale takes minimizing pores a step further with this soothing affair. By reducing enlarged pores with a refined formula infused with grapefruit extract, green and white tea for extra anti-aging properties, the complexion makes way for its natural radiance to shine. Skeptical of this skin care’s tube size? Don’t be. Just shy of 2 ounces, a little goes a long way as the brand suggests a pea-size amount should secure full coverage.
Kiehl’s Since 1851 Dermatologist Solution Precision Lifting & Pore Tightening Concentrate
- A clinically tested pore refining serum
- Formulated with Micro Filtered Yeast Extract to visibly lift facial skin
- Reduces the look of pores, lines and wrinkles while re-defining facial contours
Dr. Kiehl’s does pore refinement differently than anyone else on the market. The brand’s unique treatment features yeast extract and geranium essential oils in order to improve elasticity and bounce-back quality. Regular use will result in visibly undetectable pores and a re-shaping of facial contours for a healthy, youthful-looking complexion.
Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser
- Pore Minimizer Face Primer: A pore blurring makeup primer, Baby Skin goes on like a moisturizer to help create a smooth canvas over which to apply foundation, and leaves the skin looking matte and poreless
- Bye Bye Pores: Apply primer, face makeup and concealer, or wear primer on a bare face for a low maintenance look that's smooth, matte and moisturized all day; If you're looking to minimize pores, this primer is for you
- Best Face Forward: We have sheer, medium, and full coverage foundation in liquid, stick, and cushion foundation formulas, plus a range of concealers, primers, contours, highlighters, and pressed powders
- Create Any Look: Our foundations, bb creams, concealers and highlighters create a perfect canvas; Make eye looks with eyeshadows, brow pencils and eyeliners, and perfect your pout with lipsticks and lip balms
- Maybelline New York: The number 1 makeup brand, we make no hassle, high performance makeup for every look, style and skin tone, so whatever the world throws at you, you'll look and feel ready
By now, we take Maybelline’s baby blue packaging as a symbol of greatness and judging by the product’s four-star rating on Amazon, that’s a safe assumption. Consider Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser the rebirthing of your complexion. The lightweight cream acts as an aide for oil control and blurs pores to minimize their skin’s visible appearance.
Perricone MD Intensive Pore Minimizer
- PORE MINIMIZATION - Minimizes the appearance of enlarged pores.
- PURIFYING EFFECT - Gently exfoliates to remove debris and purify skin.
- SKIN REFRESHMENT - Leaves skin looking refreshed, radiant, and fresh all day.
- STUNNING RESULTS - 93% of users agreed toner reduced build-up of oil and residue.
- ORGANIC SKIN SUPPORT - DMAE helps visibly lift sagging skin and protect against drying environmental aggressors.
We’d never advise judging a product by its packaging, but there’s no denying Dr. Perricone’s remedy for enlarged pores looks like the real deal distributed in this medicine bottle. By combining alpha-lipoic acid to exfoliate the skin and normalize oil production, salicylic acid to scrounge up dead skin cells and dirt, and a proprietary mineral complex to tighten the complexion. This brand’s formula kills two birds with one stone by reducing the visible appearance of enlarged pores and keeping them clean.
Smashbox Iconic Photo Finish Foundation Primer
- It creates a smooth, even surface for flawless makeup application as it helps improve the appearance of blemishes, control shine breakthrough, and minimize the look of pores
- It corrects a range of complexion concerns, especially dullness
- It illuminate skin and diffuse imperfections
For photo ops and Kodak moments you know Mom has the camera ready for, you’ll need a primer that ensures a flash-flawless complexion. Apply a layer of Smashbox’s Iconic Photo Finish Foundation Primer for a face better equipped for a close-up. It’s been formulated with a blend of vitamins and antioxidants that refurbish complexions quickly, making way for makeup to apply easily and evenly.
Tatcha Silken Pore Perfecting Sunscreen
- A WEIGHTLESS anti-aging with broad spectrum SPF 35 that blends effortlessly and invisibly for matte, poreless-looking skin.
- PROVIDES BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 35 protection from UVA and UVB rays with pure, skin-loving ingredients.
- SILK EXTRACT leaves skin feeling silky-smooth, Japanese wild rose helps tighten the look of pores and smooths skin texture, and loquat leaf extract offers a rich source of antioxidants to protect and calm skin.
- PERFECT as a primer for makeup without leaving a chalky finish.
- BEAUTIFUL FACES, BEAUTIFUL FUTURES: Every Tatcha purchase supports education equality worldwide. In 2014, we created this fund to help girls stay in school through the Girl’s Education Program in Asia and Africa. As of 2021, your purchases also bring diverse books to underserved communities in the United States through Room to Read’s U.S. Literacy Initiative.
Tatcha’s multi-purpose sunscreen works with any and all skin types to ensure protection from harmful rays and prominent pores that need minimizing. Featuring an SPF of 35, silk extract, and Japanese wild rose, the complexion is tightened, relaxed, and ready for makeup application.
Buying Guide: The Best Pore-Minimizing Products on the Market
Cannot we all just be friends and never fight? Of course, but not when it comes to choosing a serum or product that will do wonders for your skin. You need options, and the more, the merrier! With so many face primers and creams available on the market today, it can be overwhelming picking just one.
What causes pores to appear large?
Three major factors can cause pores to appear large on the skin’s surface. Genetics plays a huge role, especially if your parents have large pores. Excessive oil or sebum buildup will also enlarge pores. And lastly, aging can make them look larger due to the lack of collagen produced in the dermis layer of the skin.
Benefits of using pore-minimizing products:
– Prevents excessive sebum secretion in pores, which can cause comedones.
– Can be used as a primer before applying makeup, allowing for smooth application of foundation.
– Prevents dead skin cells from sticking to the surface of pores, preventing blackheads and breakouts.
Ingredients to Look For
The right ingredients are key to finding the perfect pore minimizer. You don’t need new products or a whole new regimen to make pores look smaller, but you need something that works with your skin type and problem areas. With products containing salicylic acid, glycolic acid, retinol, vitamin C, niacinamide, tea extracts, witch hazel, sulfur, clay, rice bran oil, kombucha tea, grape stem cells, or pumpkin enzymes, you can target acne breakouts, blackheads, and whiteheads for better poreless-looking skin.
Tricks of the Trade To Reduce Visible Pores
If suffering from enlarged pores is an issue, use either a chemical exfoliant or physical exfoliator to wipe away the top layer of skin once per week. This will help reduce the appearance of pores, as they are less visible when looking at smooth skin. Also, make sure you’re using an oil-free moisturizer daily. Oils clog your pores, which can make them seem bigger rather than smaller!
Preventative Measures To Keep Your Pores Clear
Take preventative measures for better poreless-looking skin by drinking plenty of water and maintaining a healthy diet. You can also avoid smoking since it constricts blood vessels that feed your face with oxygen and nutrients, resulting in faster wrinkling and enlarged pores. Overall, just keep up your skincare routine and use the right ingredients to minimize pores as best as possible.
Bad habits that can clog your pores and cause them to look bigger:
– Touching your face a lot, especially with dirty hands
– Not washing your face at night before going to bed
– Applying makeup that’s oil-based or water-based on dry skin
– Using more than one treatment product on your face (exfoliate, treat acne, etc.)
– Skipping sunscreen daily, which can slow down skin cell turnover and result in pores that look bigger
– Not exfoliating to remove the top layer of skin once per week
– Smoking cigarettes, which restricts blood flow to your face and causes faster wrinkling
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get rid of visible pores?
It’s difficult to completely get rid of visible pores. Still, you can minimize them with products containing ingredients like salicylic acid, glycolic acid, retinol, vitamin C, niacinamide tea extracts, witch hazel, sulfur, clay, kombucha tea, or rice bran oil. Avoid smoking cigarettes since it constricts blood vessels that feed your face with oxygen and nutrients. This will result in faster wrinkling and enlarged pores. Also, avoid touching your face frequently, so your hands aren’t dirty when touching your skin.
How often should I exfoliate my skin?
Exfoliate every week to remove the top layer of skin and unclog your pores. This will help minimize their appearance, especially after using face primers that contain salicylic acid or glycolic acid.
When should I use a pore minimizer?
Whenever you want to reduce the appearance of enlarged pores! Primers are great for creating a smooth surface for makeup application. Still, they can also be worn alone with no makeup for an instant fix. Treatments can be used directly on the skin after cleansing both morning and night. They usually include ingredients like retinol, sodium salicylate, hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, or niacinamide that help reduce active acne breakouts, blackheads, and whiteheads.
How long before I should expect results?
You can see immediate results from face primers and preventative creams. Treatments with ingredients like salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or vitamin C take a bit longer to work since it takes time for these ingredients to penetrate the skin and target acne breakouts. If you’re using treatments that reduce active breakouts, use these products every morning and/or evening until your problem is under control. Then, continue using them once per day as maintenance for good poreless-looking skin! 3 weeks of consistent use is typically all you need to achieve great results.
What happens if I stop using a pore minimizer?
Don’t stop using your product! A good skincare routine with the right ingredients will slow down sebum production, which helps minimize pores even when you don’t use a product every day.
How do I prevent my pores from clogging in the future?
Keep your pores clear by maintaining a healthy diet, drinking plenty of water, and avoiding smoking since it constricts blood flow to your face. You can also avoid touching your face frequently, so you don’t have dirt on your hands when you touch your skin. Try to exfoliate with simple scrubs, enzymatic peels, or fruit acids once per week.
What are the dangers of enlarged pores?
Enlarged pores indicate that facial sebum is being pushed out through the surface, which can cause problems if left untreated. Pores that are clogged will most likely become infected with acne breakouts, whiteheads, and blackheads, causing permanent scarring. Pores that have been stretched out from being clogged can’t return to their original size because the surface skin will only be able to stretch so far.
How can I prevent acne?
You can prevent acne breakouts by using treatments with ingredients like niacinamide, vitamin C, sulfur, kombucha tea, or rice bran oil. Keep your pores clear by exfoliating once per week and avoiding touching your face frequently with dirty hands. Also, avoid smoking cigarettes since it constricts blood vessels in your face and prevents adequate blood flow to nourish your complexion’s surface.
Are there any side effects?
Pore minimizers typically do not cause any side effects. However, some facial treatments with ingredients like retinol, glycolic acid, or salicylic acid may cause temporary redness, dryness, or peeling. Products that contain alpha-hydroxy acids should not be used every day since they can cause rebound breakouts in some people. Stop use if you experience any irritation.
Will drinking water help reduce pores?
Drinking plenty of water is very important for the overall health of your skin. It helps flush impurities through your system and keeps your body hydrated. But it does not directly affect the function of pores on your face, only how much sebum they produce.
Does having large pores run in my family?
Family genetics play a role in whether or not you have enlarged pores, but there are many things you can do to reduce their appearance. Many people inherit pore size from their grandmothers or grandfathers, but keeping active acne breakouts at bay will keep pores small over time. Suppose you are prone to oiliness or tend to get acne breakouts easily. In that case, using products with ingredients like salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or vitamin C will most likely be beneficial for you.
Are there any tricks to make my pores smaller?
There are no “tricks” for permanently reducing the size of your pores, but using products with ingredients like salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or vitamin C will most likely be beneficial in minimizing the appearance of large pores. However, these treatments won’t work overnight! You may need to patiently use them for several weeks before you notice any visible changes. And remember, you can also prevent acne breakouts that lead to stretched-out pores by simply keeping your face devoid of dirt and oil.
Will makeup cover up my large pores?
No, makeup cannot hide enlarged pores. Putting it on top of clogged pores often causes them to look even worse. Instead, exfoliate with a washcloth or facial scrub to remove dead skin cells from the surface, and then treat your skin with a serum that contains niacinamide, vitamin C, or retinol.
How can I make my pores less noticeable?
There are several ways you can minimize the appearance of enlarged pores, including using products with ingredients like salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or vitamin C. You can also exfoliate weekly to keep dirt and oil from clogging your pores, avoiding touching your face frequently to prevent additional oils from seeping out, wearing powder foundation instead of liquid if you have oily skin, and using a treatment that contains retinol.
Is there anything else I can do to minimize their appearance?
Yes! Avoid smoking cigarettes since it constricts blood vessels in your face and prevents adequate blood flow to nourish your complexion’s surface. Drinking plenty of water every day is very important for overall skin health, as it helps flush impurities through your system and keeps your body hydrated. Additionally, when possible, schedule regular facials with a professional esthetician for further pore reduction benefits.
Pores are normal parts of our skin. One can encounter problems with the size of pores on their face, which is why it’s important to take precautions when using products on your skin.
Minimizing beauty products will reduce the amount of oil and debris that clogs up pores. While it may not fix the problem immediately, this will help prevent/reduce future problems.
Like this post? Check Out Others Here
Last update on 2022-05-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API