SAD – Seasonal Affective Disorder is the feeling of depression or fatigue in the colder months when the day is shorter to enjoy natural sunlight. There are several ways to lessen this gloomy feeling.
Using a SAD light therapy lamp in your morning schedule for around 30 minutes a day has shown to be an effective, low-side-effect supplement to other kinds of treatments. Ask your doctor if using one of these light therapy lamps would be the right choice for you.
Sphere Gadget Technologies Lightphoria
- Portable light system emits 10,000 lux wide-spectrum light
- Selectable intensity levels and programable 15, 30, 45 minute timer
- Sleek and compact lightweight design perfect for travel. 110v-240v worldwide-compatible AC adapter included
- Provides natural soothing glow; mimicking real sunlight
- 72 Energy-efficient LEDs consumes only 7.2 watts and is rated for more than 20 years
The Lightphoria is an excellent starter lamp for its small size and portability. This lamp emits a bright wide-spectrum light, mimicking bright sunshine on a clear day while filtering out UV exposure. Great for frequent travelers so as not to disrupt their daily light therapy sessions.
Verilux Deluxe Energy Lamp
- UV-FREE, FULL SPECTRUM LIGHT - Light therapy lamp that delivers up to 10,000 lux for effective, safe, and natural light therapy
- PERSONALIZED SETTINGS - Customize your experience with 2 brightness levels, 2 interchangeable lenses, and the detachable stand and wall mount
- IMPROVE SLEEP, MOOD, FOCUS, ENERGY - Bright light therapy improves sleep, boosts mood, increases energy, enhances focus, and leaves you feeling revitalized
- EASY TO USE & PRACTICAL - The HappyLight Full-Size is ideal for use at home and on tabletops like desks, nightstands, and counters, making it perfect for the winter blues, insomnia, sunlight deprivation, shift work, office employees, and seniors
- LIFE IN A BETTER LIGHT - With over 60 years in healthy lighting and the creator of the original HappyLight, our US-based team is here for you with live support and a 1-year warranty
The wall-mount option of this light-therapy lamp allows you to easily add it into your morning routine. Just turn it on shortly after waking up and use it while getting ready. At the same time, you stretch or meditate to further reduce your cold-weather fatigue.
Philips Light Therapy Wake-up Light
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Philips wake-up lights are recommended by physicians and pharmacists for establishing a healthy sleep and wake routine
- PERSONALIZATION: Customized sunset and sunrise
- SMART FEATURES: midnight lamp, FM radio, phone charging dock, power back-up, speaker, auto dimming display and smart snooze
- MOOD AND ENERGY: proven to give you an easy and energetic wake-up and improve your mood in the morning
- WIND DOWN ROUTINE: RelaxBreathe light-guided breathing helps you relax to sleep and sunset simulation helps you fall asleep more peacefully
The most appropriate time to use a SAD lamp is in the morning. So, if you want to integrate this kind of therapy into your routine without having to even think about it, opt for this gentle alarm clock.
It gently wakes you up each morning by simulating sunlight, along with some soothing sounds. It’s not as bright as a standard light therapy device, in case you would prefer to ease into using this method.
Northern Light Flamingo Therapeutic Floor Lamp
- Offers 10,000 lux of diffuse light at up to 12 inches, UV blocked
- Stands 4 feet tall fully assembled with a rotating head which allows you to angle the light for maximum comfort
- Electronically powered ballast assures reliable performance with no flicker and no hum.Very low EMF
- Full Spectrum Lighting
- Made in Canada following strict QAI safety guidelines
For those who exercise at home in the mornings, this floor therapy lamp gives you those same mood-boosting benefits. At the same time, you’re in motion, and the head can be adjusted so that the light shines directly on you.
Fortunately, this lamp’s simple design will make sure it doesn’t stick out too much in your home!
Nature Bright SunTouch Plus
- SOOTHING LIGHT THERAPY LAMP: The Nature Bright Sun Touch 2-in-1 Light Therapy Lamp combines light and fresh air therapy in a compact design. It helps balance your body clock, leaving your entire body feeling rested, refreshed, and nourished
- PERFECT MOOD ENHANCER: Our Sun Touch Plus sun lamp is ideal for brightening your spirits in the winter season and year-round. Our SkyEffect technology emits 17,000 Kelvin UV-free light, which can uplift mood
- CUSTOMIZED MOOD LIGHT: Since 2001, we’ve been helping people through hard times and toward a brighter future. Our built-in personal air purifier and built-in timer with 15, 30, 45, and 60-minute intervals allows customized use
- CONVENIENT AND COMPACT: The Nature Bright sunlight lamp is designed with a slim footprint and upright design so it can fit seamlessly almost anywhere. You can set it on your desk at work or on the nightstand at home to help you elevate your mood
- COMMITTED TO YOU: Sun Touch Plus is recommended by the Columbia Department of Psychiatry and is tested and certified safe for eyes by Age-related Macular Degeneration Center, University of Texas Medical Branch
This best-selling therapy lamp emits a bright blue light. Also, it features an air ionizer to further energize and brighten the mood of the user.
Both of these distinctive features could potentially be irritating to a person who has never used light therapy. Hence, as with all of these lamps, talk to your doctor about whether a blue versus a white light would be better suited for you.
Northern Light Technologies Luxor Desk Lamp
- Offers 10,000 lux of diffuse light at a distance of up to 10 inches, UV blocked
- Full Spectrum Lighting. Solid case, entirely steel
- Unique pyramidal design and small size make the Luxor Mini stand out in anyone's home or office
- Utilizes a highly efficient 40w flicker-free CFL to provide you with a bright and even light
- Made in Canada
This lamp features a distinctive design and produces up to 10,000 lux of light when enjoyed from the appropriate distance. The benefits of regular use in the mornings could help you curb your cravings, get you back on a regular sleep schedule, and even eliminate jet lag.
Nature Bright Sun Bliss 2-in-1 Portable Light Therapy and Wake-Up Light
- 10,000 LUX bright light mimics sunlight
- Built in wake-up light alarm clock gently rouses you
- Advanced LED diffusion lens protects your eyes
- Lightweight and small size for easy portability. Universal Adapter - Input 100 – 240 V 60/50Hz
- Universal adaptor for use while traveling
Banish your cell phone from the bedroom once and for all with this portable 2-in-1 wake-up light. This device is powerful enough to use as a regular SAD lamp, or you can use it as a sunrise-simulator for happier and more peaceful mornings.
Theralite Halo Light Therapy Lamp Sunlight Lamp
- LED Lamp Therapy Light... 100% safe light therapy lamps for LED light therapy. Lamp base acts as a touch light that delivers up to 10,000 LUX of mood light and bright light therapy. This bright light therapy lamp can also double as a desk lamp.
- Includes Wireless Charging Station, USB Port... An LED sun lamp that is multi-featured and includes a wireless charger USB port. LED desk lamps is also a sunlight lamp daylight lamp delivering light therapy, boosting your energy, enhancing your mood.
- 10,000 LUX LED Sun Lamp... A full spectrum light and sunlight lamp for bright light therapy. Improve your wellness, boost your mood, charge your energy. Theralite sun lamps for light box therapy will make you happy on gloomy days and dark mornings.
- Light Therapy Mood Lamp... The Mayo Clinic suggests using light therapy. Our natural light lamp brings you a light therapy lamp that safely and comfortably blocks 100% of UV, projecting light downward as recommended for maximized white lamp light therapy
- Multi-Setting Therapy Light... A dimmable sun lamp therapy light with energy efficient LED lights for light therapy. A wellness light therapy lamp designed for those experiencing mild to moderate symptoms of light deficiency due to lack of sunlight
This pick is great for those who have used light therapy lamps before and greatly enjoy the energizing benefits from them.
It emits a strong 10,000 lux of light while positioned 12 inches away from the user (not looking directly into it) while also giving off a pleasant feeling of warmth as well.
Users who live in cold and gray climates may want to keep it at their desk-side to help send them out the door with more of a pep in their step.
Aura Light Therapy Lamp
- CLINICAL STRENGTH- 10,000 Lux of Bright Light to help beat the Winter Blues, Circadian Sleep Disorders, Shift Work Adjustment, Jet Lag and Low Energy
- PATENTED TECHNOLOGY- The Aura Daylight Therapy Lamp features a patented lux adjusting dial so that YOU are in full control of your light therapy treatment.The lux output is 3,500 lux at the lowest setting and 10,000 lux at the maximum setting. The unit also adjusts to an 85 or 70 degree angle for comfortable positioning.
- TIMER FEATURE- The built-in timer feature adds additional flexibility! The timer can be set at ten minute intervals from 60-10 minutes. Bonus feature: the lamp will automatically shut off when the treatment is complete.
- WALL MOUNTABLE- The Daylight Therapy Lamp easily mounts onto the wall. The stand folds up for simplified storage.
When not in use, this lamp’s understated design looks just like an ordinary speaker on your desktop. A great accompaniment to have on while checking email, eating breakfast, and going about your morning routine.
- ☀️LIGHT THERAPY ON-THE-GO : Luminette is for those who are active in the morning and who don't have time to sit down in front of a light therapy box. They can be worn while carrying on with your daily morning routine
- ☀️PATENTED LIGHTING SYSTEM : Thanks to its patented illumination system Luminette provides ideal eyes exposure while keeping vision free. If you wear glasses or contact lenses you can use Luminette without them impacting your vision or comfort
- ☀️EQUIVALENT TO A 10,000 LUX LAMP : The light emitted is a blue-enriched white light. It comes with 3 intensities (500, 1,000 and 1,500 lux). An independent clinical trial has demonstrated that Luminette is as much beneficial as an 10,000 lux lamp
- ☀️LONG AUTONOMY : Luminette is rechargeable by micro-usb cable; one charge gives autonomy for 6 sessions. Supplied with a US-plug charger
- ☀️SAFE AND CERTIFIED: Luminette is manufactured in Belgium. Luminette has been safely used by more than 50,000 users since 2006. Luminette is certified as "zero-risk" device according to european standard IEC 62471 on photobiological safety
If your mornings are more get-up-and-go, and you just don’t have the time to sit in front of a light therapy device, the Luminette 2 is a portable and hassle-free solution.
It sits above your ears like an adjustable pair of glasses. While keeping your vision unobstructed, it sends light to the photoreceptors in your eyes.
In this way, you can continue your morning routine and give your mood a little boost without any interruption! It’s advised that you wear it for just 20 minutes per day to see results.
Buying Guide: What To Look For In A SAD Light Therapy Lamp
When purchasing a SAD light therapy lamp, there are certain features to look for. A quality product will provide 10,000 LUX of illumination within an area of two feet. It should also be easy to assemble and use with little or no fiddling around. Finally, the bulb mustn’t get too hot during operation since this poses a potential danger and shortens its lifespan.
When looking for a SAD light therapy lamp, one of the most crucial aspects is quality. The unit should emit 10,000 LUX in an area with a width and length of two feet. If you plan to use it while sitting up or lying down, make sure that the lights can reach your face at all angles when you are in those positions.
The next important aspect is the ease of use and assembly. Look for a unit that is easy to assemble and has only one power cord to connect rather than several cords requiring you to attach them each time you want to use it. Finally, pay attention to how hot the top part gets; if it becomes too warm, then there is a potential danger of injury or fire hazard.
Ease Of Use
A quality SAD light therapy lamp should be easy to use and adjust with little or no fiddling around. It should also come with full instructions on getting it up and running quickly, so you get good results in short order. Construction should be sturdy enough that you do not have to worry about accidents while using it.
Bulb Lighting Temperature
The bulb lighting temperature determines whether the light will emit heat while operating. A quality lamp will provide 10,000 LUX of illumination within an area of two feet without getting too warm. Generally speaking, the lower the temperature, the longer it will last.
You can also look for a SAD light whose bulb does not contain mercury since these kinds are less hazardous to use and better for the environment. Mercury is toxic to humans and can severely affect your health if you come into contact with it often or in large quantities over time, so choose wisely!
Non-UV Spectrum Bulb
Your SAD light should have a non-UV spectrum bulb that emits quality white lights without any ultraviolet waves. This type of bulb poses less risk to users who do not want their skin exposed to potentially dangerous radiation. It is important to remember that you should not stare directly at the lamp regardless of the bulb type you choose.
Beam Angle And Focus
A good SAD light therapy lamp needs to have a beam angle and focus that can be adjusted as needed. The wider the beam, the easier it will hit your face evenly when in different positions throughout your room or office. It also needs to have an adjustable focus so you can maneuver it wherever you want within your space.
The best SAD light therapy lamp will be easy and quick to set up and use without any complications. It should also come with full instructions on how to get it up and to run in no time at all so you can begin enjoying its benefits soon after unpacking it. Construction should be sturdy enough to avoid accidents while using the product, whether sitting upright or lying down.
For the most part, a SAD light therapy lamp needs to be easy and quick to set up and use without any complications. It should come with full instructions on how to get it up and running quickly so you can begin enjoying its benefits soon after unpacking. The construction of the unit should be sturdy enough that there are no fears of accidents while using the product, whether sitting upright or lying down.
How To Use A SAD Light Therapy Lamp
Step 1: Preparing For Use
Place the unit in an area where you will not be disturbed during your therapy. Once it is set up, plug the power cord into the wall outlet to give it juice for operation. If there are multiple cords, attach them one by one until they are all linked together before plugging the main cord into an outlet.
Once everything is ready to go, put on any eyewear you have if you want full protection from damage to your eyesight due to ultraviolet radiation. Even though these lights do not emit UV waves, eyewear is still advisable because certain wavelengths of light can cause damage over time without proper protection. It also helps level out any brightness imbalances, so you get a better overall experience.
Step 2: Positioning Yourself And The Lamp
After powering up the unit, get under it or lie down directly in front of it. You can also sit upright if you prefer to use the light for a shorter session at a time. Hold yourself steady in this position for around 10 minutes unless your doctor advises otherwise. Repeat daily until you start feeling less depressed and more energized during the fall months, when the days are shorter than they should be.
Depending on how much energy you have available, schedule your therapy sessions around other parts of your daily routine to get ready is as quick and easy as possible without being rushed. It is best to take care of each step in succession before moving on to something else, so there are no sacrifices in your schedule that need to be made.
For best results, use the SAD light therapy lamp the same way every time for around 30 minutes a day during the fall and winter months when sunlight is at its rarest.
Step 3: Powering Down And Cleaning Up After Use
When you are finished with your session, power down the unit by unplugging it or shutting off its electrical source. Depending on how much sun exposure you have had throughout the day, turn on any lamps in your home to help achieve an overall brightness level that feels most natural. If necessary, open blinds or curtains to let in as much natural lighting as possible into your space without being too harsh on your eyes. It can also help to move around your house until you find the best lighting areas.
After powering down, clean your SAD light therapy lamp by removing any dirt or particles on its exterior casing. Use a damp cloth to remove these things without any harsh chemicals that could damage components. If you notice any stains on the surface of your lamp, clean them off with a mild detergent and gentle scrubbing motion before rinsing the affected area with water.
Step 4: Storing Your Lamp For Later Use
When finished for the day, put away all items used in conjunction with your SAD light therapy lamp, including eyewear, cloths, cords, electrical wires, etc. Store each item separately, so they are ready for use next time without needing any replacements. If desired, store the lamp in a safe and dark location, such as a closet or under your bed, so it is not damaged by any light or human contact during storage.
Be sure to read through your product manual for additional information on how to use your SAD light therapy lamp
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder?
The most common Seasonal Affective Disorder symptoms include feelings of depression, lack of appetite or a loss of appetite, fatigue, trouble sleeping through the night, weight gain from overeating and carbohydrate cravings, irritability and mood swings, social withdrawal from friends and family members, headaches that cannot be explained by another condition such as a migraine or cluster headache, muscle pain that is not caused by exercise or an injury to muscles in the body.
Are there any other treatments options besides SAD light therapy lamps?
Yes. There are several ways to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder, including but not limited to antidepressants like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), psychotherapy sessions with a therapist who specializes in mental health conditions like this one, group therapy sessions with other people who are overcoming similar struggles like depression, walks outdoors in nature for around 30 minutes a day to enjoy natural sunlight, healthy eating habits, exercise at least three times a week to increase your blood circulation and vitamin D intake to strengthen your immune system against stressors that can worsen SAD symptoms.
What is the recommended dosage of using a SAD light therapy lamp?
There are no strict guidelines on how much time you should spend holding each setting on the SAD light therapy lamp; however, it is best to use these devices under professional supervision. Ask your doctor or therapist for advice on this question. They may recommend shorter sessions at a time so that you do not get too energized if you have enough energy to accomplish the day’s goals.
How is SAD Light Therapy done?
SAD light therapy lamps need to be used for around 30 minutes a day for best results. They can help diminish the effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder. When the device is turned on, an LCD screen will tell you how long it is currently powered and what brightness setting you to have it on. Make sure to cover up your eyes with an eye mask or sunglasses, so you don’t get too much sun exposure through your retinas and cause damage to your eyesight.
After powering down, clean your SAD light therapy lamp by removing any dirt or particles on its exterior casing after every use. Use a damp cloth to remove these things without any harsh chemicals that could damage components. If you notice any stains on the surface of your lamp, clean them off with a mild detergent and gentle scrubbing motion before rinsing the affected area with water.
Why should I care about SAD Light Therapy?
Seasonal Affective Disorder is a condition that affects people during the colder months of the year when there are shorter periods of sunlight to enjoy natural light. The use of SAD light therapy lamps is an effective, low-side-effect supplement to other kinds of treatments. Ask your doctor if using one of these light therapy lamps would be the right choice for you.
How do I know if it is time to use my SAD light therapy lamp?
It is important to use your SAD light therapy lamp every day as directed by your doctor for the best results. Only discuss lessening your sessions if your therapist tells you it’s okay because one of the great benefits of using this device is that it won’t make you feel like you are “overdoing” it.
How many times per day should I use my SAD light therapy lamp for the best results?
There are no strict guidelines on how much time you should spend holding each setting of the SAD light therapy lamp; however, it is best to use these devices under professional supervision. Ask your doctor or therapist for advice on this question. They may recommend shorter sessions at a time so that you do not get too energized if you have enough energy to accomplish the day’s goals.
Is it ok to keep my SAD light therapy lamp by my bed at night, or will this disrupt my sleep patterns?
The lightweight SAD light therapy lamp can be kept next to your bed at night, allowing you easy access when it’s time to use your device for that morning or afternoon pick-me-up. You can also keep them in other rooms throughout the house, so you do not have to go far when feeling a little down due to lack of sunlight. In general, these devices should not cause any type of disruption in sleep patterns if they are used when directed by a doctor or therapist.
Can I overdo it when using my SAD light therapy lamp?
No, using a SAD light therapy lamp is safe. It is effective in lessening the effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder. If you feel uncomfortable in any way when using this device, however, always stop and speak with your therapist.
When does Seasonal Affective Disorder normally start to affect people?
Seasonal Affective Disorder normally starts to affect people in the colder months when the days are shorter, and there is less sunlight for most of us to enjoy natural light. This can lead to feelings of sadness, depression, and fatigue – all of which can be remedied using a SAD lamp.
If I’m feeling depressed or tired due to Seasonal Affective Disorder, should I use a SAD light therapy lamp?
If your therapist or doctor has permitted you to try out one of these devices, it may help boost your serotonin levels, so you feel better overall. If you don’t have access to this type of treatment, other supplemental treatments like daily walks in the sun should also help. Many studies have shown that the prevalence of Seasonal Affective Disorder is much higher in regions with harsh winters, so it’s important to enjoy natural light during all seasons.
Don’t get too caught up with the nesting instinct, though. We need Vitamin D from the sun to keep our teeth and bones healthy and to help us keep our spirits up during those shorter days.
That means steeling yourself to go outdoors at least once a day (and a quality supplement wouldn’t hurt either!)
We tell ourselves all kinds of things to justify staying indoors when it’s cold. Still, the fact is that as long as you keep yourself warm and hydrated, a quick trip into the world outside is more likely to do you good than harm.
Put on your chapstick, grab your coat and your gloves, and brave the cold for a bit. Even if it’s just a brisk walk to take your dog out or check the mailbox. You’ll feel better about it.
If heading outdoors really isn’t an option for you, there are ways for you to get the benefits of light therapy in your own home.
Energy-saving daylight bulbs nowadays are easier to find and cheaper. They’re used by people with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) to help manage their symptoms, and evidence suggests that they’re actually beneficial.
Use one with a table or desk lamp, and an instant mood and alertness boost is only a flick of a switch away!
Like this post? Check Out Others Here
Last update on 2022-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API