SAD – Seasonal Affective Disorder is the feeling of depression or fatigue in the colder months when the day is shorter to enjoy natural sunlight. There are several ways to lessen this gloomy feeling.
Using a SAD lamp in your morning schedule for around 30 minutes a day has shown to be an effective, low-side-effect supplement to other kinds of treatments. Ask your doctor if using one of these light therapy lamps would be the right choice for you.
Sphere Gadget Technologies Lightphoria
- Portable light system emits 10,000 lux wide-spectrum light
- Selectable intensity levels and programable 15, 30, 45 minute timer
- Sleek and compact lightweight design perfect for travel. 110v-240v worldwide-compatible AC adapter included
- Provides natural soothing glow; mimicking real sunlight
- 72 Energy-efficient LEDs consumes only 7.2 watts and is rated for more than 20 years
The Lightphoria is an excellent starter lamp for its small size and portability. This lamp emits a bright wide-spectrum light, mimicking bright sunshine on a clear day while filtering out UV exposure. Great for frequent travelers so as not to disrupt their daily light therapy sessions.
Verilux Deluxe Energy Lamp
- UV-FREE, FULL SPECTRUM LIGHT - Light therapy lamp that delivers up to 10,000 lux for effective, safe, and natural light therapy
- PERSONALIZED SETTINGS - Customize your experience with 2 brightness levels, 2 interchangeable lenses, and the detachable stand and wall mount
- IMPROVE SLEEP, MOOD, FOCUS, ENERGY - Bright light therapy improves sleep, boosts mood, increases energy, enhances focus, and leaves you feeling revitalized
- EASY TO USE & PRACTICAL - The HappyLight Full-Size is ideal for use at home and on tabletops like desks, nightstands, and counters, making it perfect for the winter blues, insomnia, sunlight deprivation, shift work, office employees, and seniors
- LIFE IN A BETTER LIGHT - With over 60 years in healthy lighting and the creator of the original HappyLight, our US-based team is here for you with live support and a 1-year warranty
The wall-mount option of this light-therapy lamp allows you to easily add it into your morning routine. Just turn it on shortly after waking up and use it while getting ready. At the same time, you stretch or meditate to further reduce your cold-weather fatigue.
Philips Light Therapy Wake-up Light
- PERSONALIZATION: Customized sunset and sunrise
- SMART FEATURES: midnight lamp, FM radio, phone charging dock, power back-up, speaker, auto dimming display and smart snooze
- MOOD AND ENERGY: proven to give you an easy and energetic wake-up and improve your mood in the morning
- WIND DOWN ROUTINE: RelaxBreathe light-guided breathing helps you relax to sleep and sunset simulation helps you fall asleep more peacefully
The most appropriate time to use a SAD lamp is in the morning. So, if you want to integrate this kind of therapy into your routine without having to even think about it, opt for this gentle alarm clock.
It gently wakes you up each morning by simulating sunlight, along with some soothing sounds. It’s not as bright as a standard light therapy device, in case you would prefer to ease into using this method.
Northern Light Flamingo Therapeutic Floor Lamp
- Offers 10,000 lux of diffuse light at up to 12 inches, UV blocked
- Stands 4 feet tall fully assembled with a rotating head which allows you to angle the light for maximum comfort
- Electronically powered ballast assures reliable performance with no flicker and no hum.Very low EMF
- Full Spectrum Lighting
- Made in Canada following strict QAI safety guidelines
For those who exercise at home in the mornings, this floor therapy lamp gives you those same mood-boosting benefits. At the same time, you’re in motion, and the head can be adjusted so that the light shines directly on you.
Fortunately, this lamp’s simple design will make sure it doesn’t stick out too much in your home!
Nature Bright SunTouch Plus
- SOOTHING LIGHT THERAPY LAMP: The Nature Bright Sun Touch 2-in-1 Light Therapy Lamp combines light and fresh air therapy in a compact design. It helps balance your body clock, leaving your entire body feeling rested, refreshed, and nourished
- PERFECT MOOD ENHANCER: Our Sun Touch Plus sun lamp is ideal for brightening your spirits in the winter season and year-round. Our SkyEffect technology emits 17,000 Kelvin UV-free light, which can uplift mood
- CUSTOMIZED MOOD LIGHT: Since 2001, we’ve been helping people through hard times and toward a brighter future. Our built-in personal air purifier and built-in timer with 15, 30, 45, and 60-minute intervals allows customized use
- CONVENIENT AND COMPACT: The Nature Bright sunlight lamp is designed with a slim footprint and upright design so it can fit seamlessly almost anywhere. You can set it on your desk at work or on the nightstand at home to help you elevate your mood
- COMMITTED TO YOU: Sun Touch Plus is recommended by the Columbia Department of Psychiatry and is tested and certified safe for eyes by Age-related Macular Degeneration Center, University of Texas Medical Branch
This best-selling therapy lamp emits a bright blue light. Also, it features an air ionizer to further energize and brighten the mood of the user.
Both of these distinctive features could potentially be irritating to a person who has never used light therapy. Hence, as with all of these lamps, talk to your doctor about whether a blue versus a white light would be better suited for you.
Northern Light Technologies Luxor Desk Lamp
- Offers 10,000 lux of diffuse light at a distance of up to 10 inches, UV blocked
- Full Spectrum Lighting. Solid case, entirely steel
- Unique pyramidal design and small size make the Luxor Mini stand out in anyone's home or office
- Utilizes a highly efficient 40w flicker-free CFL to provide you with a bright and even light
- Made in Canada
This lamp features a distinctive design and produces up to 10,000 lux of light when enjoyed from the appropriate distance. The benefits of regular use in the mornings could help you curb your cravings, get you back on a regular sleep schedule, and even eliminate jet lag.
Nature Bright Sun Bliss 2-in-1 Portable Light Therapy and Wake-Up Light
- 10,000 LUX bright light mimics sunlight
- Built in wake-up light alarm clock gently rouses you
- Advanced LED diffusion lens protects your eyes
- Lightweight and small size for easy portability. Universal Adapter - Input 100 – 240 V 60/50Hz
- Universal adaptor for use while traveling
Banish your cell phone from the bedroom once and for all with this portable 2-in-1 wake-up light. This device is powerful enough to use as a regular SAD lamp, or you can use it as a sunrise-simulator for happier and more peaceful mornings.
Day-Light Classic Bright Light Therapy Lamp
- Contains (1) bright light therapy lamp. This daylight lamp provides the maximum recommended 10,000 LUX of glare-free white light to support therapeutic efforts to reverse low energy and to brighten your mood. Carex sun lamps have a 5-year warranty
- A bright light therapy light that will help fight the winter blues, circadian sleep disorders, jet lag, and low energy. With this contemporary bright light therapy lamp, the sunlight lamp provides light therapy to combat these issues
- This natural light lamp provides the maximum dose of 99.3% UV-filtered white light and projects light from above for effective light lamp therapy. Choose light therapy or task lighting to enjoy clear, flicker-free light and/or sun light therapy
- This mood lamp, sometimes called a sun lamp, meets the strict bright light therapy guidelines set by the Center for Environmental Therapeutics. The therapy light projects light downward as recommended by health experts for maximum comfort
- A sun lamp therapy light that meets clinical guidelines for effective mood light therapy and is the only light box therapy product clinically proven to fight the Winter Blues. This phototherapy light is height and angle adjustable
This pick is great for those who have used light therapy lamps before and greatly enjoy the energizing benefits from them.
It emits a strong 10,000 lux of light while positioned 12 inches away from the user (not looking directly into it) while also giving off a pleasant feeling of warmth as well.
Users who live in cold and gray climates may want to keep it at their desk-side to help send them out the door with more of a pep in their step.
Aura Light Therapy Lamp
- CLINICAL STRENGTH- 10,000 Lux of Bright Light to help beat the Winter Blues, Circadian Sleep Disorders, Shift Work Adjustment, Jet Lag and Low Energy
- PATENTED TECHNOLOGY- The Aura Daylight Therapy Lamp features a patented lux adjusting dial so that YOU are in full control of your light therapy treatment.The lux output is 3,500 lux at the lowest setting and 10,000 lux at the maximum setting. The unit also adjusts to an 85 or 70 degree angle for comfortable positioning.
- TIMER FEATURE- The built-in timer feature adds additional flexibility! The timer can be set at ten minute intervals from 60-10 minutes. Bonus feature: the lamp will automatically shut off when the treatment is complete.
- WALL MOUNTABLE- The Daylight Therapy Lamp easily mounts onto the wall. The stand folds up for simplified storage.
When not in use, this lamp’s understated design looks just like an ordinary speaker on your desktop. A great accompaniment to have on while checking email, eating breakfast, and going about your morning routine.
- ☀️LIGHT THERAPY ON-THE-GO : Luminette is for those who are active in the morning and who don't have time to sit down in front of a light therapy box. They can be worn while carrying on with your daily morning routine
- ☀️PATENTED LIGHTING SYSTEM : Thanks to its patented illumination system Luminette provides ideal eyes exposure while keeping vision free. If you wear glasses or contact lenses you can use Luminette without them impacting your vision or comfort
- ☀️EQUIVALENT TO A 10,000 LUX LAMP : The light emitted is a blue-enriched white light. It comes with 3 intensities (500, 1,000 and 1,500 lux). An independent clinical trial has demonstrated that Luminette is as much beneficial as an 10,000 lux lamp
- ☀️LONG AUTONOMY : Luminette is rechargeable by micro-usb cable; one charge gives autonomy for 6 sessions. Supplied with a US-plug charger
- ☀️SAFE AND CERTIFIED: Luminette is manufactured in Belgium. Luminette has been safely used by more than 50,000 users since 2006. Luminette is certified as "zero-risk" device according to european standard IEC 62471 on photobiological safety
If your mornings are more get-up-and-go, and you just don’t have the time to sit in front of a light therapy device, the Luminette 2 is a portable and hassle-free solution.
It sits above your ears like an adjustable pair of glasses. While keeping your vision unobstructed, it sends light to the photoreceptors in your eyes.
In this way, you can continue your morning routine and give your mood a little boost without any interruption! It’s advised that you wear it for just 20 minutes per day to see results.
Don’t get too caught up with the nesting instinct, though. We need Vitamin D from the sun to keep our teeth and bones healthy and to help us keep our spirits up during those shorter days.
That means steeling yourself to go outdoors at least once a day (and a quality supplement wouldn’t hurt either!)
We tell ourselves all kinds of things to justify staying indoors when it’s cold. Still, the fact is that as long as you keep yourself warm and hydrated, a quick trip into the world outside is more likely to do you good than harm.
Put on your chapstick, grab your coat and your gloves, and brave the cold for a bit. Even if it’s just a brisk walk to take your dog out or check the mailbox. You’ll feel better about it.
If heading outdoors really isn’t an option for you, there are ways for you to get the benefits of light therapy in your own home.
Energy-saving daylight bulbs nowadays are easier to find and cheaper. They’re used by people with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) to help manage their symptoms, and evidence suggests that they’re actually beneficial.
Use one with a table or desk lamp, and an instant mood and alertness boost is only a flick of a switch away!
Like this post? Check Out Others Here
Last update on 2021-06-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API