Soy sauce is the basis for many recipes. It can be had in light, regular or dark flavors to suit any taste preference, and it has an umami flavor that’s hard to beat! The thick consistency of this soybean product really stands out on dishes – making them more colorful while also adding some depth from color as well as thickness when used right away but even better if you let those flavors mingle over time so give your meal plenty of resting room before digging into these delicious treasures.
Dark soy substitutes are a lifesaver for those who have allergies or intolerances to gluten and soy. That means they can still enjoy dishes that require dark sauce without having any negative effects on their health, thanks to these great alternatives!
Best Dark Soy Sauce Substitutes
- SOY SAUCE REPLACEMENT: If you love soy sauce but not its high sodium content, this sauce is for you. It's gluten-free and paleo-friendly, and it contains less sodium than traditional soy sauce.
- TASTY SUBSTITUTE: Our low-sodium sweet soy sauce is made from organic coconut blossom nectar and Himalayan salt. With Coconut Aminos Sauce, you can substitute soy sauce without sacrificing taste.
- LOW-SODIUM FOODS: If you're on a gluten-free, paleo, or low-sodium diet, this replacement sauce makes it easier. Use it when a recipe calls for soy sauce—in a stir fry, marinade, dressing, and more.
- USDA ORGANIC: This organic soy sauce is certified USDA organic, gluten-free, non-GMO, and soy-free, so almost everyone can enjoy it. It's a natural alternative to highly processed soy sauces.
- ALL-PURPOSE SEASONING: Add unique flavor to any recipe with this soy sauce alternative. With no added sugar, it provides a naturally sweet flavor that complements the Himalayan salt.
Its one of many similar substitutes in terms of being an alternative to soy sauce because it was created by fermenting coconut sap and sea salt, but this product goes further than just replicating the flavor profile – it’s also chock full of amino acids, just like soy sauce, but with only a quarter of the salt content and zero gluten!
This makes it an excellent substitute that should be the go-to first pick for any of your needs. Coconut Aminos are also available in organic form for those who prefer them.
More: The Best Stand Mixers
Organic Tamari Sauce
- San-J Tamari is a premium soy sauce made with 100% soy and no wheat-unlike only 40-60% soy in typical soy sauce.
- Contains 25% less sodium than San-J Organic Tamari.
- Certified organic, gluten free, non-GMO, vegan, kosher, fodmap friendly.
- Contains 18 amino acids, including all nine essential amino acids.
- Brewed with the small-batch fermentation methods passed down for eight generations.
This is another great product that you can use to replace traditional (and not so healthy) soy. It’s made purely from organic ingredients and provides some excellent flavor to any dish it goes into while still bringing some notable health benefits with its inclusion of fermented products such as barley, rye, and wheat.
It contains live enzymes, probiotics and offers up 200% more calcium than regular cow’s milk – though be aware that this version isn’t always available at all stores. Try your local health food store first before shopping for this product in a regular grocery.
Organic Nama Shoyu
- PROMOTES EXCELLENT GUT-HEALTH - Double-brewed through at least two summers to maintain healthy enzyme and lactobacilli bacteria to aid your digestive health. Especially good for Macrobiotic & Pro-biotic diets.
- MADE WITH MOUNTAIN SPRING WATER - Kamiizumisui (“God Spring”) water has been filtered through granite strata rock for 1,400 years and has 18% more enzyme activity than ordinary water with a pH balance close to ours.
- HAND-CRAFTED JUST FOR YOU - Aged naturally in 150-year old cedar kegs for unparalleled taste and the highest quality sauce. Un-pasteurized and traditional Japanese-style soy sauce. Never artificially aged.
- TRADITIONAL AND ORGANIC - The Yamaki Company uses organic agricultural methods and a 1,200-year old process of fermented food production, which promotes harmony between people and nature.
- BEST ALTERNATIVE TO SOY SAUCE - Enjoy it on sushi, tofu, seafood, vegetables, even on fruit. No alcohol or preservatives. Certified Organic and Kosher. Perfect for vegan, vegetarian, and raw food diets.
This is a soy-free product that offers up a thick and rich flavor while still being completely gluten-free. It’s made from raw organic wheat-free tamari, sea salt, and water, just like its non-organic counterpart.
Still, it also contains live enzymes, probiotics, and other beneficial bacteria that help you absorb the nutrients faster and more efficiently. It does have a much shorter shelf life, so you should always keep track of when you purchased or opened this product before using it.
- Premium Fish Sauce carefully crafted from the pressing of salted anchovies
- Gluten free
- Made with sea salt
- Use as a seasoning or in place of soy sauce or salt to add a savory taste to any dish
- DID YOU KNOW? Our Fish Sauce blends perfectly with the sweet and spicy flavors of authentic Thai dishes
For those who absolutely hate the taste of soy sauce, this is a great alternative that can be used in its place. It’s made from a blend of anchovies and sea salt and provides a very umami flavor to anything you put it into. While it doesn’t have the same health benefits as other variants on this list, it will definitely get the job done nicely for your needs!
Fish sauce is also very high in sodium, and some brands like Red Boat add MSG to it. You may want to consider watching your sodium intake if you’re sensitive to that or trying one of the other products listed on this page.
Kikkoman Japanese Soy Sauce
- Kikkoman organic soy sauce
- USDA certified organic
- Product of Japan
While this isn’t a soy-free or gluten-free alternative, it is one of the best-tasting sauces that are friendly to those who are watching their waistline. Kikkoman developed an all-new recipe for its soy sauce product – omitting any high fructose corn syrup, which was linked to obesity in recent studies.
This means you can consume with reckless abandon, even though this sauce does contain 170 calories per tablespoon! This makes it a much better choice if you’re looking to cut back on your calorie intake.
- DELICIOUS and CLASSIC Oyster Sauce. This is a rich, syrup like sauce that is used in Chinese cuisine. It is made from oysters but doesn't taste like fish. It has an earthy, slightly sweet, and salty taste.
- PERFECT for finishing meat, fish or any seafood dish. Can also be used for a great dipping sauce!
- We carefully make our sauces in small batches with PREMIUM INGREDIENTS so they're always FRESH! We'll never make millions of bottles and let them site on the shelf at some big box retail store for years. Yuck.
- A double FRESHNESS seal is applied to FRESH ingredients immediately after blending to lock in maximum flavor and zest. TASTE the PREMIUM difference!
- Buy today and enjoy! Sturdy 12 fl. oz. BPA free bottle with reusable screw flavor lock top.
Oyster sauce has a similar flavor profile to dark soy sauce. Still, it’s thicker and contains other ingredients such as mushrooms and onions. This makes it even more flavorful than traditional soy sauce while also providing some extra health benefits thanks to the inclusion of vegetables and different vitamins and minerals!
This sauce is available at most grocery stores and will be found in the Asian section.
Sweet Chili Sauce
- Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce
- Country Of Origin: Thailand
- Number of items: 2
- Item Package Weight: 2.898 kg
This is an excellent alternative if you’re looking to replace that dark soy sauce flavor with a spicy version. It’s filled with chili peppers and some other tasty (and healthy) ingredients like garlic, lime juice, sugar, and vinegar – among many others.
As it’s naturally made, there are no preservatives in this product at all, so make sure to check the expiration date on any of these sauces! Sweet chili sauce is also gluten-free and vegan, so you can feel good about adding it to any of your favorite dishes.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the best dark soy sauce substitute?
While all of the products on this list are fantastic alternatives to traditional soy sauce, we’d have to give the crown to organic Nama Shoyu as our top choice. It provides a bold and rich flavor that works really well with other foods! If you’re looking for something that has more health benefits as well as an improved taste profile, then try out the fish sauce, as it’s truly one of a kind in this regard.
How many calories does dark soy sauce contain?
Dark soy contains about 60 calories per tablespoon and depending on your diet, whether or not you exercise, those calories can add up quickly throughout the day, especially if you consume multiple servings (of other sauces) at once. This means you should always keep an eye on your caloric intake to make sure that it fits into your goals for the day.
Which soy sauce alternative is best for weight loss?
Nama Shoyu provides some great health benefits, but it’s also fairly low in calories compared to other sauces (and things like dark soy sauce) on this list. This means if you’re looking to lose weight, adding a tablespoon or two of this product won’t add too much calorie-wise and will help you meet your nutritional requirements no matter what diet plan you follow!
Sweet chili sauce would be our last choice due to the high sugar content, even though it does work really well when cooking or baking with it.
What is the soy sauce alternative best for vegetarians or vegans?
All of the sauces on this list are vegan, and some even include a great flavor profile with it. If you’re looking to maintain a vegetarian diet, then your best bet would be to go with organic Nama Shoyu, as there’s no fish in it! This means that vegetarians can enjoy this taste just as much as vegans without any issues at all.
Are dark soy sauce substitutes healthy?
While these products don’t contain gluten or wheat-like traditional soy sauce, they have calories that could make them or break them when trying to stick with a healthy diet plan. Luckily most of the products listed here either have very low calories (in comparison) or are low in sugar, so you won’t have to worry about ingesting too much of anything.
How many calories does oyster sauce contain?
Oyster sauce has about 10 calories per tablespoon (which is way less than gluten-free soy sauce). Also, it contains some great health benefits thanks to the mixture of vegetables, hardwood trees, and other special ingredients that go into creating it. This makes it one of the unique sauces on the market today!
What’s better for weight loss dark soy or oyster sauce?
It depends on what your goals are like. Dark soy has more sodium, whereas oyster sauce has more potassium – but both products can be pretty calorie-heavy depending on how much you put on your meals! If you’re looking to lose weight, then you should either reduce the amount you’re using or try out oyster sauce instead.
How many carbs are in dark soy sauce?
According to nutritiondata.self.com, soy contains about 1g of carbohydrates per tablespoon – which isn’t that bad considering most people will just use a teaspoon instead of the whole tablespoon when cooking with it.
Is dark soy sauce substitutes good for diabetics?
Dark soy sauce is low in sugar but not that low, so if you’re diabetic, then you should try to find something with lower carbohydrate levels like fish sauce or oyster sauce! But even still, these products are preferable over using regular old gluten-free soy sauce because they provide great flavor without having any negative effects on your health.
Which is better for skin dark soy sauce or gluten-free soy sauce?
Even though there isn’t any wheat used to make either of these products, they both contain a lot of sodium, which can contribute to some bad side effects like high blood pressure and heart palpitations, especially if you consume it regularly.
Are there benefits from consuming dark soy sauce?
Most studies show that dark soy contains antioxidants that can help prevent certain types of cancer and other health problems. Another study shows that dark soy has cholesterol-lowering properties – but this is only when it’s eaten in moderation!
What makes dark soy sauce healthier than regular?
If you’re looking for a product containing fewer calories, sodium, and carbs, go with dark over regular soy sauce. This is because dark contains zero gluten or wheat, which can make it harder to digest if you don’t feel well. Even though there are some great health benefits from consuming either type of sauce, it’s not recommended to have them on a daily basis due to how high they are in terms of sodium and calorie intake.
Dark soy sauce substitutes are a pretty cool product that can help your vegan friends or those with allergies or intolerance to gluten and soy still enjoy the same flavors as you. While regular dark soy has 5g of carbs, these contain around 1g, which is way less than what’s found in traditional sauces.
They’re also low in sodium, and this makes them a safer option for people who want to maintain a healthy weight or reduce their blood pressure. Most of these products don’t have any sugar either, so they won’t impact your blood sugar levels if you use them on a regular basis.
Last update on 2021-10-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API