Whether you live on a coast or you’re planning a vacation away, the perfect beach towel is one of the key elements to any day at the shore.
Even if you’re not beachside (hey, a backyard lawn chair counts too), there are countless uses for a beach towel, and a great one will last for years to come.
From towels that double as a sarong to oversized beach blankets, we’ve rounded up the best options for your needs. And at these prices, you can afford to stock up on towels for your whole family.
Best Overall: AmazonBasics Cotton Beach Towel Cabana Stripe
- Set of 2 large beach towels offer optimal coverage, exceptional absorbency, and noticeable fluffiness on both sides
- Made from 100% ring-spun pure cotton for a soft and durable terry cloth fabric; professionally hemmed edges for added strength
- Cabana stripe pattern
- Machine wash and tumble dry on low; for best results, wash separately the first time to reduce lint
- Measures 30 by 60 inches each
If you’re looking for a simple beach towel that gets the job done and looks stylish at the same time, the AmazonBasics Cabana Stripe towel is a great choice. For a bargain price, you get two matchings, vintage-inspired striped towels made of 100% ring-spun pure cotton.
They come in retro colors like navy blue, sky blue, yellow, and mint green, so they’ll look great in that next beachside Instagram. Each one is slightly oversized, measuring 30″ x 60″, making them the perfect size to wrap up in or toss over a chair.
While the AmazonBasics towel may not be the single highest quality towel on the market, the low price and good materials make it our pick for the best one overall.
If you don’t know what you need, and you’re just looking for a great standard towel that will keep you dry and last a good amount of time, you can’t go wrong with this chic Cabana Stripe towel. Reviewers say it dries quickly and absorbs fast — and they’re soft and thick for ultimate comfort.
More: Best Coolers
Best for Travel: WildHorn Outfitters Akumal Microfiber Beach Towel
- BEST VALUE: Includes 3 convenient travel towel sizes- An extra Large bath size towel perfect for the beach or lake, a Large size that is lightweight and makes for a great trekking or camping towel and a small size that you can throw in your gym, golf or day pack - our compact and lightweight microfiber towel bundle is the best value on the market.
- FAST DRYING: Designed for multiple uses during the day. The quick dry towel is made of 100% microfiber material and dries 10x faster than cotton or terry cloth.
- SUPER ABSORBENT: These microfiber towels can hold 3-4x their weight in water. They make great cleaning towels for a camp kitchen, dishwashing or a quick clean after a dip in the lake.
- COMFORTABLE USE: The Microlite travel towel is made of soft, plush microfiber that's gentle on the body. HANG LOOPS INCLUDED. Each towel is equipped with snap loops used to hang towels for quick drying or traveling.
- ULTRA COMPACT: Each individual microfiber towel comes with a compact mesh carrying case. Easily pack your camping towel without sacrificing space for other vital travel items.
Were you headed on a beach-y getaway? If packing a bulky towel in your carry-on isn’t an option, a travel beach towel may be a better choice for you. WildHorn Outfitters Akumal Microfiber Beach Towel is a compact miracle, taking up just 10″ x 3.5″ when stowed in its own personal travel bag.
Though it’s small enough that it won’t compromise souvenir space, it’s very effective when put to the test. Made of microfiber, the Akumal towel is 35″ x 75″ and holds up to four times its weight (one pound) in water. It comes in six beautiful water-inspired colors like “zen blue” and “port navy.”
Reviewers love how quickly the Akumal towel dries, stating that it wicks water and dries off within a few minutes. If your beach days require a lot of travel, the Akumal towel is a great choice for a fast-drying, compact towel you’ll use over and over again.
Best Sand-Free: Dock & Bay Microfiber Beach Towel
- THE ORIGINAL SAND FREE BEACH TOWEL: The ideal quick dry towel for travel. Dries 3 times faster than a normal cotton towel! A COMPACT beach towel, includes travel accessory pouch.
- QUICK DRY MATERIAL: Feels different, dries great. You're going to love the smooth, soft feel and they are highly absorbent - sucking the moisture right off your skin!
- SAND WON'T STICK: Leaving more sand at the beach for castles
- PERFECT FOR VACATION: Our Extra Large size covers a whole sun lounger and our towels (excluding round) have a handy hook to hang your towel out to dry.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Love it or your money back. 30 day returns policy and 12 month warranty included.
Sure, sand in your toes is nice, but sand everywhere else? Not so much. If you’re tired of finding sand everywhere, The Dock & Bay Microfiber Beach Towel may be the best choice for you.
This vibrant, retro towel is formulated to repel sand, making it easy to shake off and throw in the car. And if you like choices, the Dock & Bay has plenty of them—it comes in over 10 colors and three sizes (large, x-large, and round). If you want a standard towel that’s easy to transport, the large works well at 63″ by 31″.
It’s made of microfiber, and reviewers say the Dock & Bay soak up just as much water as a traditional towel. If you want a great sand-repelling towel, this trendy, eye-catching item is a great choice.
Best Oversized: Ocean Stripe Oversized Beach Towel
- ✅Ultra lightweight and compact, yet oversized - 4 times lighter in weight, folds to a space saving 4 times smaller than a normal cotton towel but it will cover your sunbed when spread out. Ultra absorbent and quick drying - it will dry you and itself 3 times faster than a normal cotton towel.
- ✅Easy to wash microfiber towel with no need to iron - Wash at a low temperature and simply hang up to dry by itself or use the snap stud hanging loop - there’s no need to iron, simply fold or roll when dry.
- ✅Made from a premium quality hi tech polyester blend of microfiber materials making it incredibly soft and smooth and meaning sand won't stick to it like a normal cotton towel.
- ✅Perfect for travel, beach, sports, bath, gym, fitness, yoga, camping, backpacking. Plus it comes with a free travel bag thats really handy for all your accessories.
- ✅Part of a growing range of OceanOnlineStore premium products - All Bottles, Bags and Towels come with a Lifetime Warranty against manufacturers defects
If you’re more of a traditional cotton beach towel person, this Ocean Stripe Oversized Beach Towel from Bed Bath & Beyond may be the best one for you. At 36″ x 72″, it’s oversized and large enough to give you room to stretch when laid out. It’s made from 100% cotton and has a soft, velvet-like feel.
The nautical blue and white design is neutral enough for everyone in your family, so it’s the perfect towel to buy if you’re looking for a matching set.
Reviewers love how plush the towel is and say it’s big enough for even the largest member of their family. While some of the other towels on our list may be a little larger, we love this one if you’re looking for an oversized beach towel that will suit every need and every water activity.
Best for Kids: Stephen Joseph Hooded Towel
Convincing your children that it’s time to leave the beach can be a difficult task, but this adorable Stephen Joseph hooded towel may make drying off to go home a little more fun.
It comes in four designs, including a shark, alligator, crab, and pirate. Each one has different details, like fins or claws that will make your child feel like he or she is playing dress-up each time it’s used. The towel is made from 100% cotton and runs 46″ by 23.5″, not including the hood.
Reviewers say the size is great for children under eight years old and rave about how quickly it absorbs water. It’s so adorable you’ll want to buy a second one for bath time. If you’re looking for a kids’ beach towel for your child or as a gift, the Stephen Joseph towel is our favorite choice.
More: Rooftop Tents
Best Beach Blanket: Wekapo Beach Blanket Sandproof, Extra Large Oversized
- ✔ OVERSIZED AND COMPACT-10‘x9'(300cmX280cm) over 30% bigger than competing beach / picnic blanket, will comfortably fit 7 person, only weights 14 oz. Come with 6 metal stakes in a pouch for 4 anchor loops so you will have 2 spare ones just in case.
- ✔ SIMPLE DESIGN & DOUBLE ANCHORED-WEKAPO blanket is designed as simple as possible so it has eliminated 5 sticking out sand pockets and added 4 corner pockets that can be used for storage or sand anchor. If it's windy day, it can be nailed down on beach by metal stakes coming with our blanket.
- ✔ SAND PROOF AND WATER RESISTANT-This beautifully colored blanket is made of durable ripstop nylon. Just shake the blanket and it easily gets rid of all the sand once. Not only is this wonderful fabric breathable and light-weight, but watch as water beads up and rolls off. The little water that may stay behind will dry VERY FAST.
- ✔ SUPERIOR QUALITY- Triple stitched for maximum strength and durability. All pieces of this blanket are made with lasting use in mind.
- ✔ MULTIFUNCTIONAL – Use it as a Picnic Blanket, for relaxing during vacation, hiking/camping or simply for hanging out with friends or family in a garden/backyard – a truly multifunctional camping accessory!
A great beach blanket is one that is not only large enough to accommodate your whole family but also dries you off at the same time. The Wekapo Beach Blanket is 10′ x 9′ and is wide enough to hold up to seven adults comfortably.
It’s made of parachute nylon, so while it’s not meant to be used solely as a towel, it absorbs water quickly and efficiently and can be used with or without an additional towel on top.
The Wekapo Beach Blanket comes with a travel sack that can be used to easily store the blanket when it’s not in use and weighs just 0.9 pounds. Our favorite feature of this beach blanket is the sand pouches that allow you to use beach sand to anchor it to the ground, so you don’t have to worry about it being swept away.
Reviewers rave about the Wekapo beach towel, stating that it’s sand-proof and wicks water as well as any beach towel. While we’d recommend packing a few standard towels along with this beach blanket, it’s a must-have for any family that wants to spread out and enjoy the sun.
More: Best Camping Gear
Best Turkish: Wetcat Turkish Beach Towel
- GREAT ON-THE-GO: Thinner than terrycloth but just as absorbent, our Turkish Towel is a must-have after your bath or shower. Super-convenient to pack and carry, it’s non-bulky for easy travel. Compact and lightweight, it folds down to maximize space in your luggage or closet.
- SAY GOODBYE TO MUSTY ODOR: Famously fast drying, our soft towels are ideal at the beach or in other wet environments. Not only do they help save time, money, and energy with quick trips in the dryer, they’re also less prone to developing damp odors.
- QUALITY YOU CAN FEEL: Who wants stiff, scratchy farmhouse bathroom towels? At Wetcat, our fabric is prewashed for an unbelievably soft texture. Made in Turkey with OEKO-TEX certified natural dyed yarn, our gray bath towels are safe for you and for the environment.
- CONVENIENT ANYTIME, ANYWHERE: Sandy beach towels are a problem of the past! Just shake off our and you have no debris left in your bag. The best part? You can also use it as a yoga blanket, hair wrap, boat towels, beach accessories and more.
- DESIGNED JUST FOR YOU: With 24 color options, our Turkish Towels add a pop of personality to your bathroom, picnic or camping trip. Perfect birthday gifts for men and women alike, they’re great house warming presents for new home and special occasions.
A Turkish towel is a great choice for the pool or beach because it’s lightweight, absorbent, and can double as a beach cover-up.
The Wetcat’s Turkish towels come in 32 colors and are 38″ x 71″, the perfect size for any beach day. Made from 100% Turkish cotton, this towel weighs just 10.8 ounces.
This Turkish towel is our top choice because the Wetcat offers a full-year warranty against defects, such as running colors or fraying.
If you want a stylish beach towel that absorbs water quickly and has a wide range of utilities, a Turkish towel is a great choice. Reviewers say The Wetcat’s towels stand the test of time and look incredibly trendy to boot.
More: The Best Water Bottles
Best Circular: Raajsee Round Mandala Beach Blanket
- ❇️Please Note : This is a COTTON SHEET type material and NOT A TERRY TOWEL material but these beautiful mandala tapestrIES are used as beach towels also as they are thick enough to be wrapped around.
- ❇️ 100% COTTON – Raajsee beautiful Multicolor Mandala cotton Round is made of high quality pure cotton. Craftsmanship at its best, Hand Crafted By Local Artisans in Jaipur, India. These are hand printed from vegetable colors. These colors are eco-friendly and therefore cause no harm to you or your surroundings.
- ❇️ MEASUREMENTS & QUALITY – Each round is approx 68 inches in diameter, the perfect amount of space to share with your significant other, child, pet etc, Our roundies fit up to 2 people comfortably! . Our experts make sure to check every piece individually to ensure quality. Our quality control check ensures that you get your tapestry to your satisfaction and delight, the first time and always only with Raajsee
- ❇️ MULTIPLE USUAGES – Perfect for the beach or park, our 100% cotton roundie is so lightweight and can be carried everywhere. Can be used as Beach Throw, Beach Wrap-around, Table Throw Round Table cloth ,park picnics, yoga, meditation & poolside lounging etc. It can be used as Wall hanging for your indoor decor.
- ❇️ CARE & MAINTENANCE – To avoid color fading, wash the roundie separately with cold water and hang or lay flat to dry. Don’t tumble dry and do not bleach. The inks used are vegetable dyes and therefore cannot withstand harsh chemicals.
A circular towel is a fun way to spread out on the beach without using too much real estate. The Raajsee Round Mandala Beach Blanket is our pick for the best circular beach towel because it’s highly absorbent and comes in a wide range of styles to suit every personality.
The Raajsee Round Mandala Beach Blanket features 13 designs and measures 70″ across, large enough for two adults from stripes to flamingos. It’s made of microfiber, which makes it light enough to transport on flights or road trips.
Owners love how quickly it dries and say it’s the perfect shape for lounging. A circular beach towel is a great choice for beaches or picnics and easily converts from a blanket to a standard towel.
They’re trendy, fun and the Raajsee Round Mandala Beach Blanket’s eye-catching designs mean no more searching for your blanket in a sea of beachgoers.
What to Look for in a Beach Towel
Beach towels are a staple for any beach-going person. For those with sensitive skin, the shorter loops of woven material will dry much more quickly than their longer counterparts.
The durability and resilience that you’re looking for in your towel can be found by taking note of selvage edges around the outside stitching to prevent stretching or fraying during wear & tear over time.
If you’re looking for a towel that dries quickly, absorbs water, and is soft to the touch, cotton towels are your best bet. They come in many different textures – from thick velour-like finishes to thin cloths with high absorbency rates.
The Turkish variety of cotton has been proven as one of the most popular options when it comes to determining which type will work best in any given situation (such as drying off after bathing or using them while cooking).
One of the most enjoyable parts about getting out and into a warm pool is drying off afterward, but it can be hard to find towels that have just the right weight for your needs.
Thicker fabrics will take longer to dry than thinner ones. At the same time, lighter materials might not offer as cozy an experience after you towel yourself down from head to toe. Luckily there are options for every preference!
The GSM rating on the products indicates how heavy or light they’ll feel when wrapped around you – with lower ratings being more lightweight and thin.
For those looking to get some sun in the sand, there’s no need for a bulky towel. However, if you’re planning on spending all day at the water and want something more lightweight, then don’t worry.
Sleek, small towels are the best option when you’re looking for something that can easily be stored in your bag.
Thinner materials will also dry much quicker than a bulkier towel- and who doesn’t love an easy clean-up? Turkish tea or linen material is always perfect if you like to have options on what type of fabric feels right against your skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a bath towel and a beach towel?
This question has been argued for years. Some say that they are different because of their size, while others believe it’s more about what you use them to dry off with.
For example, the size of standard beach towels ranges from 30 inches x 58 inches to 30″x 56″. Generally, most people use 27 inches by 52-inch baths or washcloths for personal hygiene. Still, you might find that these don’t work as well at drying your whole body after washing in soap water because they’re too small.
You’ll find that bath towels are usually one solid color, while beach towels might come with more colorful prints and patterns.
This might just depend on what look you’re going for – white may seem classic to some people’s bathrooms, or it could depend on how much attention they want their bathroom to get as everyone always compliments their decorating skills when they see those awesome looking white fluffy ottomans stuffed with down pillows!
Is a microfiber beach towel better than cotton?
Microfiber is actually an incredibly fine synthetic fabric. It can be manufactured to resemble silk, wool, or even leather at times.
Because of its superior absorption rate, it’s efficient and versatile. However, because it is so thin, you’ll find that it doesn’t dry as quickly as cotton towels do – which means it needs more regular washing, drying, and folding. You will also need to handle microfibers with care using only mild detergents and avoiding bleach as this will deteriorate their quality quickly. If you want something for the beach but aren’t quite ready to commit to microfiber just yet, washcloths be a good alternative that’s easy to clean and maintain.
What is a biodegradable beach towel?
A popular choice, these towels are composed of material that does not take up landfill space if they’re thrown away accidentally. Biodegradable towels will give off harmful greenhouse gases when in the dump rather than overrunning landfills with plastic or other materials that can take centuries to break down completely.
Do I need one that’s sand-resistant?
Yes! The sand gets everywhere when you’re at the beach – which is part of what makes it so great, but not what you want when you get back home. Sand could easily damage your towel (or hurt bare feet) if it’s clinging to it when you pack up for home.
If you know, there will be a lot of beach time in your future. You might want to look for one with back loops so you can hang it up without having it touch anything that’s not clean. If they’re not sturdy enough or if the material doesn’t hold them easily, then opt for something that is non-absorbent like canvas or polyester rather than cotton towels since they won’t hold on to as much sand (and most likely won’t cling to the outside of your bag either).
How do I clean my microfiber beach towel?
When all else fails, and you really feel like giving up on using things because it’s just too much of a hassle, remember that most microfiber towels are machine washable. This means that if you really must have one, at least you can take care of it in your washing machine.
A good tip is to always read the label before throwing anything in the washer – even if it’s just something small like a towel. If you don’t, then you might find yourself inside out with all your buttons fastened and needing help ASAP!
How do I get sand off my beach towel?
This one’s easy enough because – unless you’re choosing to buy an absorbent material beach towel or are particularly fond of having sand all up in your business – getting sand off your towels after visiting the shore won’t be difficult at all.
By the time you’re back home, most of the sand will have fallen off or dried up and can be easily brushed away or shaken out. If a towel has a sand-resistant backing, then you can be sure that sand will stick to it and not to your clothes while they’re in the bag. Still, otherwise, you probably don’t need something sand-proof anyway.
Is it okay to use fabric softener on a microfiber beach towel?
The stories about what fabric softeners can do (or not do) for your towels and the like will make you want to turn this question over and over in your mind as you pick up the phone and call customer service.
As long as you read the label carefully, then yes, fabric softener is fine – but there’s an easy way around this: just ignore it completely. The only reason you’re probably looking into using something like that with your towels is that they’re not as absorbent as you’d like them to be. If so, look for something made from bamboo or another eco-conscious natural fiber instead of synthetic fibers or cotton.
Do I need to wash my microfiber beach towel before using it?
As with anything else that you’re considering buying, always read the label to know for sure. Most of the time, you’ll find that many towels are machine-washable, but if not, then simply check at your local laundromat to see if they have a special cycle or method for washing these kinds of fabrics – which they probably do.
How do I dry my microfiber beach towel?
Much like washing your towels, drying them will vary from product to product. If the label doesn’t say how or what cycle is best, then try checking with customer service first and see if they have any advice or know anything about towels in general since many places that sell towels also sell other items made of microfiber – which could help.
Like this post? Check Out Others Here
Last update on 2021-10-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API