Winter is just around the corner, and it’s time to get prepared. As temperatures drop, your body becomes vulnerable to a number of viruses and bacteria, as well as skin problems. The most apparent effect winter has on our bodies are changes in skin and hair conditions.
Cold weather can be a tough season for your skin, and it doesn’t have to stay this way. Drying winter air makes you more prone than ever before to pesky dryness that will leave red patches on the surface of delicate epidermis from sun exposure; indoor heating causes water retention, which leads not only to increased itchiness but also potential damage due to its diversion away from regulating body temperature properly.
But there are many simple ways to combat the causes of dry winter skin and help keep your skin feeling moist all season long, including some easy changes that you can make in your everyday routine. For example: after taking a not-quite hot shower, “blot away excess water from the body,” says Dr. Linda Stein Gold (a dermatologist at Henry Ford Hospital). Then apply thick moisturizer within few minutes for sealing water into the epidermis, so it lasts longer!
Therefore, moisture is essential for keeping your skin looking healthy and radiant. When the air outside gets cold, it’s important that you do what you can to keep moisture in your skin so that it doesn’t dry out.
Weather is not a problem for your skin if you are conscious of the precautions. What does really happens during winter? Your oil glands just below the skin go inert and thus build a little moisture only. When the skin further gets dried up due to sun and wind, you easily find skin problems like chapping, scaling, and itching.
The winter months can be hard on your skin, but there are some easy steps you can take to keep it hydrated. Follow these tips every day for a radiant complexion all year long!
Tip#1 Give out soap entirely.
Soap is found to be acting as a degreasing agent. As a substitute, use milk cream or milk-top mixed with a few drops of lime juice and a bit of turmeric powder. In the night, take a tablespoon of milk cream and mix it well with few drops of glycerine, olive oil, and rose water.
Apply the mixture over the entire face, neck, and hands. In the morning, remove the substance gently using tissue paper, and take a bath in warm The worst thing you can do is put hot water on your skin. The benefits of cold/warm showers are abundant, and the process will leave both mind and body feeling great!
More: The Best Body Scrubs
Tip#2 Be kind to your skin. Restrict Shower Time and Temperature
Your skin with frequent hot showers can become dry or even rashes in some cases! Taking cool baths every now then does wonders for keeping healthy-looking hair while also moisturizing the outside of one’s self from top to toe – not only will you have smoother looking locks (so important!), but those bumps on elbows won’t stand out so much against their paleolithic backdrop anymore either.
AADs suggest a 5- to 10-minute lukewarm shower, and they advise against using excessively hot water when washing your hands. If the latter causes red skin, that’s too much temperature for it! It may seem counterintuitive since air hand dryers are often used in restrooms. Still, according to CDC studies, they just dehydrate you more than before without helping remove bacteria or viruses from dried palms with flu worries.
Tip#3 For scaling problems, vitamin A-rich foods are necessary.
The vitamin is helpful in preventing the skin’s affinity towards dryness. If the dryness is fairy serious, take vitamin A tablets under medical supervision. As the vitamin taken indiscriminately causes a severe toxic effect in the body, you should consult a doctor first.
Tip#4 Eczema is another commonly found skin disorder.
Symptoms are like that your skin turns red initially then goes dry, scaly, and rough. Make a walnut paste, and then press out its oil. Apply on affected areas few times a day. When this remedy does not work for you, take the second step. Get a dry coconut and hold it over a burning flame. After the coconut skin is blackened, place it on a tin plate and cover it suddenly with a vessel. After a few seconds, remove the vessel, and you get a layer of oil on it. Apply the oil on the affected skin areas twice a day for a week.
Tip#5 The next enemy you encounter in the winter is itching.
Mix an equal quantity of coconut oil and sandalwood oil together.
Apply it on the itching area a couple of times daily. In fact, itching is of many kinds, of their winter’s itch is a really severe one which is due to excessive dryness of the skin. Every day an hour before taking a bath, mix an equal quantity of curd and olive oil and on it pour few drops of essence of rose. Apply the mixture to your body.
More: 10 Best Superfoods
Tip#6 The main areas that easily get skin problems are your feet and lips.
To preserve the sole of your feet, rub it at bath time with soapy water and pumice stone. Use the mixture of olive and coconut oil for massaging the area. For your lips, use rose flowers and milk. Make a paste out of petals of rose and mix it with milk cream. Apply smoothly on the lips before going to bed at night.
Common Kitchen Ingredients to moisturize your skin
You’ve heard it before, “nature provides the best remedies.”
1. Milk cream or malai
They work just as well as any expensive beauty product out there! You have probably heard of the beauty benefits of milk cream. It’s often used as a face mask or lotion, but it can also be consumed! Milk cream has been known to provide relief from dry skin and allergies. Give this natural remedy a try today!
2. Coconut Oil – Nature’s Miracle Cure for Dry Skin
- SheaMoisture Head-To-Toe Nourishing Hydration 100 percent Virgin Coconut Oil is a moisturizer natural skin care that leaves behind radiant skin
- Soften and restore hair and skin with this coconut oil skin care, body oil and hair moisturizer by SheaMoisture; An all-over, multi-benefit product that helps with moisture retention and smoothing
- Fast-absorbing Coconut Oil can be used on hair, face, hands, body and feet without leaving a greasy residue; A wonderful skin moisturizer and best hand cream for dry skin
- Made with 100 percent Coconut Oil for sensitive clear skin, skin, dry skin and combination skin, this body cream can also be used as a moisturizing makeup remover or a moisturizer for glowing skin
- Use natural skin care as desired to moisturize, treat, condition, and hydrate hair and skin, and to remove makeup impurities
Coconut oil is one of those natural ointments that can heal your skin from within and without. You can use coconut oil to massage areas of dry or dull-looking skin with a little bit of warm water mixed in.
3. Olive oil
- ROBUST EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL: Expertly crafted by The Olive Oil People, this full-bodied extra virgin olive oil is made from first cold pressed olives, grown and nurtured by our family of farmers.
- FULL-BODIED, ROBUST TASTE: Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oils are ideal for any meal that starts with a sauté and ends with a drizzle. With its robust flavor profile, Pompeian Robust EVOO is perfect for salads and marinades!
- 100% FARMER CRAFTED: Quality from The Olive Oil People since 1906.
- IMPORTED, FIRST COLD PRESSED EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL: Certified for Authenticity by the North American Olive Oil Association (NAOOA).
- COMMITTED TO QUALITY: Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil is Naturally Gluten Free and Non-Allergenic, Kosher, and Non-GMO Verified by the Non-GMO Project.
Olive oil can be used in combination with milk, honey, or other natural ingredients to make a moisturizing face pack. Topical application of olive oil can leave your skin plump and lock in moisture during winters. So grab some extra virgin olive oil today! Your body will thank you later ;)
4. Ghee – A Superhero in your Kitchen.
- UPGRADE ANY RECIPE: Replace your current butter, olive oil, coconut oil or other cooking oil 1:1 with ghee.
- DIET FRIENDLY: Great addition to any diet – Certified Keto, Paleo, Gluten Free, Ayurvedic, Whole 30, and FODMAP friendly.
- WE SOURCE THE BEST: Our lactose-free ghee comes from grass-fed, pasture-raised, antibiotic and hormone free New Zealand cows.
- NO SHORTCUTS: Our ghee is made the old-fashioned way and spreadable at room temperature. No refrigeration required.
- HELPFUL NOTE: Ghee may liquefy during shipping, but will re-solidify within a few hours of refrigeration, or overnight at room temperature.
Clarified butter or ghee has another superpower- moisturizing. This natural ingredient can be easily found in everybody’s kitchen cabinets during winters, and just a pinch of it applied to any dry area can give you instant results! It also happens to be packed with vitamins that are good for the skin too. So next time you get into an argument about what heroes deserve more credit, make sure there is some Ghee on hand!
- 100% PURE - Our raw honey is pure and unfiltered with nothing added and nothing removed, preserving the natural nutrients in every bottle.
- LOCAL HONEY BY LOCAL BEES - Pollinated throughout the Southeastern United States, this premium honey embodies bright, subtropical floral notes including brasswood, Brazilian pepper, citrus, clover and goldenrod.
- HEALTHY ALTERNATIVE TO SUGAR - Ideal for baking, coffee, tea or any place you would use sugar, our pure honey provides a rich sweetness as well as important vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, enzymes and bee pollen.
- HONEY ON A MISSION - A portion of proceeds from every bottle sold is donated to PACE (Pollinator Awareness Through Conservation & Education).
- PREMIUM RAW & UNFILTERED U.S. HONEY - Our honey is sourced exclusively sourced in the U.S. and isn't blended with honey from other countries.
Honey has been used as a beauty product since ancient times. It’s one of nature’s most powerful moisturizers, containing more than 180 natural enzymes that help to heal and soften dry skin while also fighting acne-causing bacteria.
If you still experience dryness, discomfort, and irritation after trying these healthy skin tips, then I have good news for you: it’s time to bust out the over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone cream! If no improvements within a few days, speak with your doctor about prescription-strength moisturizers that can help during the winter months.
Last update on 2022-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API