There are many different types of garage door openers, but they all work the same way. The switches on your wall control them, and some can be controlled from a short distance by a remote or smartphone app for convenience! These electric motors use electricity to help raise and lower these doors as well as hold them closed if needed instead of using locks like olden days before technology got so advanced with its uses and applications.
There are many different types of garage doors, but they all have one thing in common: the power unit. This is what keeps everything running smoothly and makes sure you can get your car out when need be!
In an electric door, it’s easy to see how this works because there’s always some kind of motor attached directly or remotely from inside your home with wire debris throughout the house from where it needs recharging after being used over time.
10 Best Garage Door Openers You Can Buy
LiftMaster 3255 Contractor Series 1/2 HP Chain Drive W/O Rail Assembly
- 2 remotes
- #1 Professionally Installed Opener in the world
- Liftmaster Chain-drive garage door opener
- LiftMaster 3255
The LiftMaster 3255 Contractor Series Chain Drive garage door opener is best if your looking for a quality garage door opener and are sticking to a fixed budget. This is also the best seller, as it is easy to install and is affordable. This garage door opener is made of durable materials that last for a long time and can bear continuous use. The LiftMaster garage door opener is the most reliable product, which is installed in many homes. This garage door opener from LiftMaster is available on Amazon for INR 13,831.
What includes in the product:
- Two remote controller
- A wall-mount panel
- It uses the chain drive mechanism
- The chain used to connect the motor and trolley is made of
LiftMaster Garage Door Opener
- This sleek, space-saving design mounts on the wall beside your garage door, freeing up ceiling space
- This elite series model comes fully equipped with security 2.0, myq
- Get reliable, durable and powerful performance with our p3 motors
- Runs ultra-quiet by eliminating sound and vibrations through the ceiling
- Not compatible with roll up doors, low headroom track, wayne dalton torquemaster Must have a front mount torsion bar system
The LiftMaster Garage Door Opener is easy to install and is budget-friendly. This garage door opener is personalized with a PIN, which helps to operate the door without any remote control. This product is available on Amazon.
What includes the product:
- A wireless keypad
- A waterproof flip-up protective cover
Liftmaster 888LM Security+ 2.0 MyQ Wall Control Upgrades Previous Models 1998 (and later), Black
- Provides the upgrade needed to utilize Security+ 2.0
- Easily program remote controls and MyQ-Enabled accessories directly from the Control Panel
- Upgrades garage door opener (manufactured after 1998) to enable you to control your garage door opener, gate operator, and home lights using your smartphone or computer with the Internet Gateway (sold separately)
The Liftmaster 888LM is the best product for people who need the latest security technology as this product is updated with Security+ 2.0 technology. This unit is easy to install and use. This product is available on Amazon.
What includes the product:
- Easy programming of remote from the panel
- The opener can easily be controlled with smartphones
Direct Drive 1042V004 Garage Door Opener, 42 x 10 x 6.5 inches
- Extremely quiet garage door opener with virtually no vibrations
- Includes two x 2-button transmitters and one interior wall station
- HomeLink compatible/Sommer USA customer service available
- Secure Rolling Code Technology, 310 MHz
- Includes rail for 7 ft. or 8 ft. door height (full installation kit included)
The Direct-Drive 1042V004 Garage Door Opener has a durable design that can be used for a more extended period. It also comes with a full installation kit which can be fixed into any garage space. Another best feature about this product is it makes no vibration or noise while opening. With this feature, you can use this garage door opener at any time. This Direct Drive garage door opener also includes different accessories that can be used at home. Direct Drive garage door opener is available on Amazon.
What includes in the product:
- Interior wall station to control the garage door from inside
- Safety Sensors
- Two x 2-button transmitters
- Mounting hardware
- Garage door opener measures 42″ x 10″ x 6.5″
- The rail for the gate is 7 to 8 feet long
- Installation kit
Chamberlain RJO20 Direct Drive Wall Mounted Space Saving Garage Door Opener, One Size, Black
- The wall mount garage opener mounts discretely on the wall next to the garage door, increasing the functional space in the garage
- The included automatic garage door lock secures your door every time it closes, so you always know that your home is protected
- Unique wall-mounting system eliminates vibrations through the ceiling for nearly silent operation
- The myQ app includes core features that allow you to control your garage door, get status notifications and set schedules from anywhere
- Rigorous quality testing ensures lasting performance
The Chamberlain Group RJO20 Direct Drive Wall Mounted Space Saving Garage Door Opener is the ideal product with the latest technology. This garage door opener is for garages with lower ceilings as this unit fits comfortably on the wall. This opener can be operated with a WiFi connection from a long distance. Chamberlain garage door opener is available on Amazon.
What includes the product:
- WiFi connectivity and operating are available with this product.
- Includes an automatic door locking system
- A multi-function wall control unit is also included with the product
Genie StealthDrive Connect Model 7155-TKV Smartphone-Controlled Ultra-Quiet Strong Belt Drive Garage Door Opener
- STRONG AND QUIET: The Stealth Drive Connect smart garage door opener has a 1 1/4 HPC DC Motor that is paired with a steel-reinforced belt drive making this garage door opener perfect for garages that are attached to bedrooms and/or nurseries
- SMART GARAGE SYSTEM: This smart Stealth Drive Connect garage door opener integrates with the most popular smart home automation systems, so your garage can be part of your favorite smart home. Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, SmartThings, Walmart InHome and many more. Make part of your routines or utilize voice control- so many smart possibilities
- BATTERY BACKUP INCLUDED: The Stealth Drive Connect garage door opener comes equipped with a battery backup that allows for the garage door opener to be used when the primary power is out. You have peace of mind that you can open the garage from inside or outside in the event of an emergency.
- EASY TO INSTALL: This smart garage door opener features a strong 5-piece rail system that snaps together for easy installation. It’s lightweight with no added hardware needed. Plus, this smart garage door opener works with BILT intelligent 3D interactive instructions, for extra easy assembly
- GARAGE DOOR ACCESSORIES: The Genie Stealth Drive Connect smart garage door opener comes with two pre-programmed 3-button garage door opener remotes, a wireless keypad to open the garage door with Pin, and a multi-function wall console with vacation lock and light control button.
The Genie StealthDrive Ultra-Quiet & Strong garage door opener is best for 7-feet garage doors. It has a powerful motor and a long rail which hold the door in place. This garage door opener is long-lasting and uses the Belt Drive opener mechanism. It works with zero vibration and noise, due to which you can use the door anytime.
What includes the product:
- 7 FT Rail Kit and rail of length 9.4’
- Multi-Function Wall Control
- Two 3-Button Remotes Transmitters
- Keyless Entry Keypad
- Safety Sensors
Chamberlain Group B550 Smartphone-Controlled Ultra-Quiet & Strong Belt Drive Garage Door Opener with MED Lifting Power, Blue
- Smart garage door opener comes with built-in myQ technology to keep you connected and protected: Open, close, and know the status of your garage door from anywhere with a smartphone with the myQ app
- Ultra-Quiet & Strong Belt Drive: Steel-reinforced belt drive and constructed with high-grade materials for years of reliability and quiet, smooth performance—perfect for attached garages
- Powered by Chamberlain’s MED Lift Power System, the B550 delivers the highest lifting force equivalent capacity compared to the 1/2 power class for effortless lifting and reliable performance
- Superior Range: Includes 2 3-button remote controls that let you control up to 3 openers. Exclusive Triband technology boosts remote range up to 1,500 feet for a quicker entrance and exit. A wireless exterior keypad permits access with a four-digit security code
- Trusted Safety & Security: Unmatched Security +2.0 100 Billion code encryption protects against hacking, and Posi-lock anti-theft protection stops attempts at forced entry. Confidently know that every click sends a secure code to your garage door opener.
The Chamberlain Group B550 garage door opener uses a 1/2 HP powered motor, which helps it to function smoothly and quietly. You can use this opener to open and close any time of day and night as it makes no noise and vibration while working. You can connect it with your smartphones and get quickly connected with the home WiFi. Chamberlain B550 is available.
What includes the product:
- Includes 1/2 HP powerful motor
- WiFi connectivity feature
More: How to Clean Chrome Rims
Chamberlain Group C450 Smartphone-Controlled Durable Chain Drive Garage Door Opener with MED Lifting Power, Pewter
- Smart garage door opener comes with built-in myq technology to keep you connected and protected: Open, close, and know the status of your garage door from anywhere with a smartphone with the myq app
- Powered by Chamberlain’s MED lift power system, the C450 delivers the highest lifting force equivalent capacity compared to the 1/2 power class for effortless lifting and reliable performance
- Durable chain drive - Rugged steel construction with precision fabrication for dependable performance, use after use. Total maximum wattage: 200
- Includes two 3-button remote controls that let you control up to 3 openers. Secure encrypted technology boosts remote range up to 1,500 feet for a quicker entrance and exit. A wireless exterior keypad permits access with a four-digit security code.
- Trusted safety & security - Unmatched security+2.0 100 billion code encryption protects against hacking, and Posi-lock anti-theft protection assures that once the door closes, it stays locked
The Chamberlain Group C450 Smartphone-Controlled garage door opener work on the chain drive mechanism. It uses a durable and robust chain to hold the opener. It easily connects with WiFi and is compatible with the myQ app. Chamberlain C450 is available on amazon.
What includes the product:
- compatible with the myQ app
- includes in-garage Amazon deliver
- Code encryption for security
Chamberlain Group Chamberlain B970 Smartphone-Controlled Ultra-Quiet & Strong Belt Drive Garage Door Opener with Battery Backup and MAX Lifting Power, Blue
- Smart garage door opener comes with built-in myQ technology to keep you connected and protected: Open, close, your garage door even when the power is out with Battery Backup and know the status of your garage door from anywhere with a smartphone with the myQ app
- Battery backup: Ensures safe replacement ins-and-outs even during power failures. Radio Frequencies: 310, 315, 390. Soft Start / Stop : Yes
- Ultra-quiet and strong belt drive: Steel-reinforced belt drive and constructed with high-grade materials for years of reliability and quiet, smooth performance - perfect for attached garages
- Powered by Chamberlain’s Max Lift Power System, the B970 delivers lifting force equivalent to 1 1 by 4 HP, the highest lifting capacity in the category for superior performance in extreme conditions
- Superior range: Includes 2 3-button remote controls that let you control up to 3 openers. Exclusive Triband technology boosts remote range up to 1,500 feet for a quicker entrance and exit
The Chamberlain Group Garage Door Opener is easy to install and is durable. It has a powerful motor and operates quietly without disturbing neighbors. It is also compatible with all garage doors. This product is available on Amazon.
What includes the product:
- powerful motor
- includes Amazon in-garage delivery
- wireless keypad
- security sensors
Genie ChainDrive 550 Garage Door Opener – Heavy-Duty Chain Drive System – Includes 2, 3-Button Remotes, Wall Console, Wireless Keypad, Safe T-Beams – Model 2035-TKV
- RELIABLE, DURABLE OPERATION: The Genie Chain Drive 550 garage door opener has a heavy-duty chain drive system that allows for long-lasting durable operation
- EASY TO INSTALL: The Chain Drive 550 garage door opener is equipped with a strong 5-piece rail system that easily snaps together with no added hardware required. The Chain 550 opener also has a factory pre-assembled chain, no assembly with cables is needed making this chain drive opener even easier to install.
- HOMELINK AND CAR2U COMPATIBLE: Out-of-the-box this Genie garage door opener works with popular built-in car remotes systems such as Home Link and Car2U without the need for any additional hardware, such as bridges or repeaters
- GARAGE DOOR ACCESSORIES: The Genie Chain Drive 550 garage door opener comes with two pre-programmed 3-button garage door opener remotes, a wireless keypad to open the garage door with a PIN, and a multi-function wall console with vacation lock and light control button
- STANDARD FEATURES INCLUDE: Safe-T-Beam Non-contact reversing system, GenieSense Monitoring, and diagnostic technology, and Intellicode Access security.
The Genie ChainDrive, 550 Garage Door Opener, uses the Chain-drive mechanism, which is easy to install. The chain used is durable and can hold any door at the place. This garage door opener is budget-friendly. Genie ChainDrive garage door openers are available on Amazon.
What includes the product:
- Two remote controls
- A 1/2 HP power motor
- Five-piece rail system
Garage Door Openers Buying Guide
Garage door openers are so prevalent in our lives that we usually take them for granted. They get the job done, and you probably don’t think about them until it’s time to find a new one. Here’s what you need to know when it comes time to buy a new one.
If your garage is only big enough for a single car, you’re in luck. Most garage door openers won’t exceed that weight limit. If your garage can handle two or three cars, then there are options for you too. Most standard openers have the capacity of lifting 1/2-3/4 tons. In comparison, commercial-grade can go up to 5 tons or more depending on model and brand. Think about how many cars will be stored in the garage before you start shopping.
Noise level is probably not something you’ve considered, but this should be considered, especially since the opener is located inside your home. Suppose you can’t stand hearing the garage door open and occasionally close when it’s not in use. In that case, you’ll probably want an opener that offers good insulation. Bearings fitted into the opener will also contribute to noise levels. Metal bearings are usually much quieter than plastic ones.
Some older people may appreciate a loud rambling garage door opener installation guide. Still, younger homeowners don’t like wasting their time trying to figure things out when they’d rather be doing something else like playing with their kids or surfing the net in peace. Look for guide lights that illuminate when in use, soft start and stop operation that doesn’t jar your walls or flooring, quick release rails. These allow easy installation of new garage door openers and new wireless keypads, making it easier to change the garage door opener’s code.
Most of us don’t give much thought to safety. Still, you’d be surprised how many people are injured or even killed by faulty garage doors due to unsafe garage door openers. For instance, some older openers required manual retraction of the trolley wire on the descent. Some newer ones automatically retract on ascent preventing entanglement with fingers on the descent. And if you open or close your garage door after sunset, look for an opener with lights on either side which light up when in use, so no one gets hurt while trying to get out of their car in a dark parking lot.
It wouldn’t be a bad idea to invest in a garage door opener with a reputation for being reliable, which usually means buying a reputable brand name. Look at the warranty offered by the manufacturer before you buy to ensure it’s well covered.
All openers have different options so if you have special needs which require added features, compare the various models when you shop for one so you don’t purchase an opener that doesn’t meet your individual requirements. For instance, some openers come with safety reverse sensors while others don’t. Some include wireless keyfobs. In contrast, others don’t. Some offer programmable remotes while others lockout operation after a certain number of uses, thus preventing unauthorized use.
The more bells and whistles included, the more expensive it will be. Still, you’ll also have to weigh your need for convenience against how much money you’re willing to pay for it. For example, if your requirements are few, an economy model may do just fine at a lower price point. In contrast, someone with multiple cars or special needs may find that higher-end openers are priced well worth their added features.
What are the different types of Garage Door Openers?
Here are five types of Garage Door Openers, namely:
- Chain drive openers
- Belt drive openers
- Screw drive openers
- Direct drive openers
- Jackshaft openers
These openers work on different principles and use different methods. Such as a Chain drive opener uses a chain to connect the motor and the trolley. A rubber belt is used to connect the trolley and the motor in Belt drive garage door openers. A long screw is fixed inside the track, which is a connected trolley in a Screw drive garage door opener. A motor installed inside the trolley and a gear wheel are used to guide the trolley with the fixed chain in Direct drive garage door openers. A torsion bar is attached with a mount at either end used in Jackshaft openers.
What are the additional features of Garage Door Openers?
Garage doors openers have improved over these years, and many additional features are added to these door openers. Here are the other features that have been added to the garage door openers over these years:
1. A motion sensor is added that automatically turns lights on when the door opens and switches off after excluding the given time.
2. A lockout feature is added, which turns off the radio receiver at a given time.
3. Other features are wireless keypads, fewer chances to get lockout. You need to create a personal identification number (PIN) while opening or closing the garage door. Just punch the pin and operate the garage door.
4. Another recent improvement is the wireless keypad is a fingerprint-based wireless keypad. This helps families with children who always forget the pin—these wireless keypads are attached outside of the garage door.
5. Key chain remotes are a cool feature that is added, and this helps in carrying the remote with you anywhere.
6. Solenoid-operated deadbolts to lock the door itself.
7. A carbon monoxide sensor is an additional feature that helps open the door if the garage is filled with exhaust fumes.
8. Another fantastic feature added is door activation with the help of the internet and smartphones. This allows owners to open the door before arriving.
More: The Best Work Gloves
Frequently Asked Questions
Is direct drive better than belt drive garage door opener?
This depends on the needs and requirements of the person who would be using it. If you want a durable machine, then the direct drive is best as it has fewer moving parts and belts that tend to wear out over time with use. Still, if you’re looking for something quiet and smooth running, a belt drive may be better as direct-drive openers can produce more noise.
Is there any reason I should install a remote unit inside my garage?
Yes, suppose your main body is located outside your garage door or does not have an existing opener installed. In that case, it is much more convenient to mount the opener controls within the garage. Especially wireless remotes, which will allow easier access from within the garage itself and enable closing/opening remotely (if installation allows).
The opening system should be installed to easily connect to the opening/closing unit via the drive belt and the motor.
Do you need additional parts for the installation of your garage door opener?
Additional parts like mounting brackets, bolts, and screws may be required during installation that is not included in the standard package. These parts usually come with the setup kit and will not cost much extra. Depending on your needs, we would provide you with such information to ensure yours is done right. Some products might require some rewiring or additional equipment like electrical outlet boxes or power cables (in case no power was provided at the site).
What type of Garage Door Opener do I need?
This depends entirely on your needs.
There are three types of openers: Chain drive, Belt Drive, and Direct Drive. Each of these has its own pros and cons. All vary in noise production, longevity, and weight capacity (if you have a heavier garage door).
The style is also important when considering what type of opener to install. There are different types of single-car garages (to the left) versus double-garage doors (to the right).
Generally speaking, chain drives tend to produce more noise than belt drives which produce more noise than direct drives installations.
How long does it take to install my new Garage Door Opener?
This will depend on several factors, like how complicated it is technically to install the opener (i.e., the existing door dimensions, wiring inside, etc.) and how much experience your technician has in installing garage doors.
The organization of a professional installation team will speed up the process as they already have everything prepared, including time schedules and tools that might be needed to complete the job.
What is a detached Garage Opener Kit?
A detached garage opener kit is designed for those garages where there is no access from the house directly to the garage area. In this case, some secondary equipment needs to be installed to provide a power supply from another place or from another source – either an outlet box or directly from the home power supply/panel). Also, keep in mind that you will need a standard plunger switch mounted at the part of the house from where you will have access to your garage.
What is a Garage Door Opener Control Panel?
A control panel allows you to open and close the door in a very simple manner with a click of a button. It can be wireless or wired, and in most cases, it allows for opening/closing with the use of two different buttons- up and down.
In addition, some advanced models may come equipped with additional features like a built-in lighting system, motion sensors for lights/safety, keyless entry, a web-enabled app that allows opening from anywhere via cell phone, etc.
What is Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum technology?
Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum is how the incoming radio signal is transmitted to achieve better performance, resistance to interference, and security.
For instance, when using the remote control, this technology will send out code at extremely high speeds that are divided into much smaller parts for it to arrive safely without being disrupted by external factors. This makes it much more difficult for others to intercept/use your remote system.
What is MyQ?
The MyQ garage door opener comes with an option to integrate with third-party systems like Amazon Echo or Google Home. This allows you to turn on/off lights directly from a smart home speaker (or other compatible devices) via voice command instead of over yourself manually turning them off or on each time you come close to home.
Can someone else’s garage door opener open your door?
Technically, yes. Any remote control device can open another garage door opener (provided they use the same frequency and security type. This is only possible if you purchase an identical product or follow a car theft scenario when your system was stolen along with the vehicle.
How to care for my garage door opener?
First of all, you may want to cover it whenever there’s a chance that the system could be exposed to direct sunlight over an extended period of time since this can damage its electronics.
Secondly, don’t use harsh chemicals for cleaning or lubricating your unit. If you notice any obvious problems with the system (for example- issues with remote controls), contact me ASAP before they cause more damages.
How much power do garage door openers use?
An average garage door opener (galvanized steel) is estimated to consume around 1,500 watts.
If you want to go green and cut your power needs in half without sacrificing too much convenience, consider choosing an option that comes with a rechargeable-battery powered backup system.
How reliable are garage door openers?
Newer models are extremely reliable even in cases of power outages or other emergencies.
To minimize malfunctions, make sure to read the owner’s manual first before making any changes/adjustments (including installation), and always use our services if you notice anything unusual with your unit(s). Otherwise, contact us for an inspection ASAP.
Is it safe to go under my garage door opener?
You may not be able to hear the motor running, but there can still be serious risks involved depending on what type of system is installed – belt drive vs. chain drive, etc. At all times- ALWAYS pay attention to the manufacturer’s instructions and act accordingly! :)
How often should a garage door opener be inspected?
It depends on what type of system is installed and how old it is. For instance, if it’s a belt-drive model with an average consumption of 1,500 watts, you can wait up to 10 years before having it inspected for the first time, depending on location/weather conditions, etc. In the meantime- check all connections regularly and replace any worn-out components as soon as possible using only original replacement parts from reputable suppliers.
In addition, if you have a chain drive opener with an average consumption of 2,000 watts or more- I recommend getting an inspection done no less than every year (or after 200k activations).
What happens if my garage door opener breaks down?
First of all, stay calm and contact our company for a prompt inspection ASAP.
What is the average lifespan of a garage door opener?
Belt drive units can last up to 15 years without major repairs depending on weather conditions and frequency of use. In contrast, chain drive models tend to be less reliable and should last no longer than 10 years. On the other hand, if you notice anything unusual with your unit, contact us ASAP before making any changes/adjustments.
How do I care for my garage door opener?
The clearance between the garage door and the opener should be at least 7 inches. Additionally, you can follow the manufacturer’s instructions or contact me for details if needed.
Replacing a worn-out garage door opener with a new one is not exactly rocket science. However, it still requires attention to detail since there are crucial differences between models this day in age (including power consumption, sensitivity, etc.) Given that, don’t hesitate to contact us ASAP if you notice anything unusual with your system or before making any changes/adjustments.
Is it safe to shut off my garage door manually?
Other than safety risks associated with direct sunlight exposure shutting down your unit manually should be completely safe to do provided it has enough clearance space above (200k activations) and that it’s properly maintained (beyond manufacturer’s warranty).
At all times- ALWAYS pay attention to instructions in the owner’s manual before making any changes/adjustments, including installation. Otherwise- always contact us for an inspection ASAP if there is anything unusual with your unit(s). Otherwise, contact us for an inspection ASAP.
Can I do my own garage door opener repairs?
It depends on what type of system you have installed and how old it is. More often than not, replacing common components like roller shaft assemblies, photo eyes, etc.- can be safely done by anyone without prior experience or technical knowledge.
However, while some types of damage affecting safety mechanisms may look minor at first glance (loose wire, broken bracket), they should be checked by a professional first to avoid accidents and other mishaps!
What kind of damages can affect garage door opener systems?
For the most part- any type of damage affecting electrical or mechanical components should be addressed as soon as possible before it compromises safety mechanism(s). In addition to that- there are many other things worth mentioning, including corrosion, overheating, power surges, etc.
Now that you know the basics of what to look for when shopping for a garage door opener consider how it will benefit your lifestyle. Suppose all you need is the convenience with few bells and whistles. In that case, an economic model may do just fine at a lower price point. In contrast, someone with multiple cars or special needs may find that higher-end openers are priced well worth their added features. And if you have older family members residing in your home, remember they’ll probably appreciate the added security offered by safety sensors on the descent too!
Last update on 2022-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API